Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Orphan King by Sigmund Brouwer


WaterBrook Press (July 10, 2012) 224 pages

Decription:

The future of the Immortals is in the hands of an orphan

My greatest fear was that they would find us and make of us a sacrifice beneath a full moon. Now you, Thomas, must help us destroy the circle of evil.

The last words of a dying woman would change the life of young Thomas. Raised behind monastery walls, he knows nothing of his mysterious past or imminent destiny. But now, in the heart of medieval England, a darkness threatens to strangle truth. An ancient order tightens their ghostly grip on power, creating fear and exiling those who would oppose them. Thomas is determined fulfill his calling and bring light into the mysterious world of the Druids and leaves the monastery on an important quest.

Thomas quickly finds himself in unfamiliar territory, as he must put his faith in unusual companions—a cryptic knight, a child thief, and the beautiful, silent woman whom may not be all she seems. From the solitary life of an orphan, Thomas now finds himself tangled in the roots of both comradery and suspicion.

Can he trust those who would join his battle…or will his fears force him to go on alone?

My Rating: 3/5 stars

My Thoughts:

I found the description of The Orphan King so fascinating that I felt I HAD to read it. "A cryptic knight, a child thief, and a beautiful silent woman"?! It definitely had me curious!

I hate to say that I had a hard time getting into the book. To give the book a fair chance, I kept going to other books, and then coming back to it. It just wasn't working for me. It's not that I thought it was bad! It's just that I had no connection to the book. I could have easily left it, and not really cared what happened.

All of that said, I do think that teen guys(and girls) would enjoy it more than I was able to right now.

Faye @ Labor Not in Vain wrote a very interesting review of it, and I think that the background information about the series she gives is very useful. Definitely read it before deciding about this series!

*I was provided a review copy through Waterbrook's blogging program in exchange for my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. I briefly considered this one, but ultimately decided against it. I"m rather glad I did now. Good to see your review! (Not that it was bad, but just that I'd rather spend time with a book I know I'm going to LOVE and I don't think I'd really go for this one.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't seem to be your normal kind of read. Of course, that doesn't mean you wouldn't like it. :) I agree. It wasn't horrible, but there's too many books that I know I'll love waiting on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete