Monday, July 9, 2012

My Stubborn Heart by Becky Wade



Bethany House Publishers (May 1, 2012) 352 pages

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

I'm going to let you know right up front that I'd definitely list My Stubborn Heart as an "edgy" Christian romance. I've came to realize just how judgemental I sound in my reviews lately, so I'm trying REALLY hard to watch what I say from now on. That's proving difficult! ;)

Kate loves antiques and peppermint taffies and she looks a little like Audrey Hepburn. She's been saving herself for her future husband. At 31, despite the many prayers, she's became a little discouraged that God hasn't sent her the man she's been waiting for. While helping her grandmother over the summer, she meets Matt.

Matt is an ex-hockey player. He lost his wife to cancer a few years ago, and has greatly grieved since. If you like your fictional guys tall, dark, and wounded, I can't imagine you'll be disappointed with Matt.

To be honest, I had a great deal of issues with My Stubborn Heart! Despite those, I really enjoyed the writing. I flew through the book, and I got caught up in the love stories. The older people were cute and humorous, and I had fun reading about everyone, except maybe Velma. She needed a smack upside the head(not literally, y'all)!

Overall, I liked it. If you don't mind "edgy" books, I won't hesitate to recommend this one.


*May cause you concern:

-There's drinking. One guy purposely gets drunk on Jack Daniels and Coke. Another guy drinks a beer while on a date.

-There's a great deal of gambling-An older group of people play poker at someone's house every Friday night.

-There's lots of romantic tension(wanting to kiss, etc). There's one scene involving a guy with his shirt off after running. I'll let you fill in the blanks there. There's never any "sex" scenes, though.

-The word "pi**ed" is used twice.


*I was provided a review copy from Bethany House in exchange for my honest opinion AND I won a copy from Jen. (I requested it, but didn't know if I'd get it, because I haven't always and then I ended up winning a copy). So, thanks to both parties. I'm sure my public library would thank you, too. :)

1 comment:

  1. I am awarding you with the Beautiful Blogger Award. To see what to do, you can go to either of my blogs.

    ReplyDelete