Thursday, April 12, 2012

NIV Boys Bible


Zonderkidz (March 6, 2012) 1504 pages

My Rating: 4 stars(I like it for it's intended audience)

My Thoughts:

I always end up snickering when I read these books and Bibles intended for boys. That's not necessarily a bad thing! I think they're great for their intended audience.

Here are some of the main special features of the NIV Boys Bible:

-Book Introductions: author, setting, and background information

-What's the Big Deal?: important people, places, and things that stand out

"Jacob's story is so whacked out(HA!) it deserves its own reality TV show. He was guilty of identity theft, taking advantage of a blind man(his dad!), and making his brother Esau so mad Esau wanted to kill him...."
*Needless to say, the "HA!" was my addition.

-Makin' It Real: A contemporary look at how to apply Bible lessons to one's life

"Jeremiah praised the Rekabite family as a nexample of devotion and obedience. For generations, the Rekabites had followed the instruction of an ancestor. They carefully observed their family principles and showed more faithfulness than the Israelites had shown to the King of kings.

Other people sometimes provide an easier example to follow than trying to follow God solo. Who is a worthy example in your life? It's certainly tempting to admire someone in the spotlight. But the best example may be a quiet follower of God..."


-Check It Out: Interesting facts and trivia

"2 Samuel 14:26- You know how girls care a lot about their hair? Well, hair was a big deal in the Old Testament, even for men. Long thick hair was a sign of manly beauty. Absalom was famous for his hair. He had so much sometimes it weighed five pounds."

-Grossology: some of the "messy" parts of the Bible

"King Jeroboam picked the wrong man to try to arrest. When he pointed toward the man of God who'd just prophesied, Jeroboam's hand suddenly shriveled up, shrinking the nerves and muscles so much that he couldn't move it. -1 Kings 13:4"

-Words to Live By:
"Verses to help you keep God's Word in your heart-you may want to memorize them!"

"Will God really dwell on earth? The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you. How much less this temple I have built! -1 Kings 8:27"

I've made no secret at my blog that the NIV is NOT my favorite Bible translation. I'm not completely against it. I do have a NIV or two on my shelf. I just prefer the NKJV as an everyday reading Bible. If you're looking for a Boy Bible, and you like the NIV, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this one!

*I was provided a review copy of the NIV Boys Bible through B&B Media in exchange for my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment