Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Harriet Beamer Takes the Bus by Joyce Magnin


Zondervan (April 24, 2012) 320 pages

My Rating: 4/5 stars (Such a FUN read!)

My Thoughts:

Harriet Beamer is 72 years old, and living all alone since her dear husband, Max, passed away. Let's not forget about her dog, Humphrey, though. She loves spoiling him to pieces by giving him glazed donuts(never jelly filled). When she falls from a chair and hurts her ankle, she makes a bet with her daughter-in-law, Prudence, that it isn't broken. If she loses? She moves across the country to live with her son, Henry, and Prudence. When Harriet finds out that she will indeed be moving across the country, she decides to do it her own way, taking her own sweet time, by taking public transportation the whole trip. Along the way she meets many interesting people and discovers a few things about herself.

Sunday I was all alone with the boys and I was sick. I stayed on the couch as much as I could with two little ones. Harriet Beamer Takes the Bus was exactly the kind of read I needed at the time! It was quick, fun, humorous, and just plain sweet. I enjoyed getting to know all of the characters. I didn't necessarily agree with all the beliefs that were introduced throughout the book, but that's okay. There's different kinds of people out there with different beliefs.

Harriet Beamer turned out to be quite the quirky little lady, with her obsession of salt and pepper shakers. I hope I get to read more about her in the future! If you're looking for a fun read with characters that are different from the average Christian Fiction these days, I don't hesitate recommending Harriet Beamer Takes the Bus. Joyce has very unique writing style!

*I was provided a review copy through Shelton Interactive in exchange for my honest opinion.

**Harriet Beamer has her own blog, which you can visit HERE. (Very cute)!

1 comment: