Monday, February 20, 2012

A Darkly Hidden Truth by Donna Fletcher Crow



Monarch Books (December 1, 2011) 366 pages

My Thoughts:

A Darkly Hidden Truth is the 2nd book in the Monastery Murders Series. I haven't read the 1st book, A Very Private Grave, but I was given enough details that you can easily pick up this book without reading the first. There will be spoilers, though!

This story picks up a few weeks after the first book. Felicity has decided she wants to become a nun. This was a very rash decision, and she's disappointed with how long it would actually take to become one. She travels to different convents to get a feel of how different each of them are and to decide which one she likes best. She also get an unexpected visit from her mother, which doesn't exactly bring out the best in her. Throughout the book she struggles with her feelings towards both her mother and Antony, her possible love interest, all while trying to help solve a murder case and find a missing icon.

A Darkly Hidden Truth is very rich in details about Catholic history and beliefs. I found it intriguing due to the fact that I've never studied Catholic history. It was all completely new to me. The mystery throughout is relatively light. I actually saw someone describe it as a "cozy mystery". I would agree! The "spook" factor is very low. It's definitely one I'd recommend to anyone who likes a bit of mystery.

I had fun reading my first Donna Fletcher Crow book. It was just the change of pace I needed in my reading, and I have high hopes of reading many more!

*I was provided a review copy from Kregel Publications in exchange for my honest opinion.

Donna Fletcher Crow's Website- You can go there to get a closer look at both this book and some of Donna's others books, which have definitely grabbed my attention!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Tammy, what a delight to be on your beautiful blog! Thank you so much for introducing me--and Felicity--to your readers. You are right, Felicity is very rash, but great fun to work with. I see much of the fun of this series as growing Felicity up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by! I can't wait to read more about Felicity! She was definitely fun. :)

      Delete