Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Top Twelve Books I NEED to Read in 2012

Is anyone else having trouble scheduling posts? I keep pre-setting mine to go up, but they just won't. For the most part(except when half my post was gone when it posted), I haven't ever had this problem until 2012. I've tried putting the date in different formats and it doesn't help. Advice?


It was really hard weeding through books I think I need to read and narrowing it down to 12. I decided on 12, so that hopefully I'll get in at least one a month. I have a couple Non-Fiction books for review at the moment, but I'm not including those on this list.
I finally narrowed it down by picking the books that I think will benefit me the most in the stage of life I am in RIGHT NOW.

I think most of these kind of go along side my "Top Ten Goals of 2012" list. Some of them will be getting more explanation on that post.

I have a WANT to read post, too, which includes the fiction books I hope to read in 2012.




The Bible

There will be more explanation about my plans with Bible reading on my goals post.





Why Church Matters: Discovering Your Place in the Family of God by Joshua Harris

It's a struggle for me lately wanting to go to church. I hate to admit that, and I never thought I would, but it's true. With two little ones, by the time I finally make it to church, I'm simply exhausted. Then I'm trying the whole service to keep them quiet, and I don't get much out of it. It's too easy to tell myself to stay home and do a Bible study, so that I'm actually learning something.




Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches by Rachel Jankovic

Being a wife and mommy is SO. HARD. Most of you don't need me to tell you that, though! I really think I need to read this book.




I'm Outnumbered!: One Mom's Lessons in the Lively Art of Raising Boys by Laura Lee Groves

I do have two little boys, so I know I can get some wisdom out of this book.




Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth

We have a pretty good bedtime routine, but naps and mornings and middle of the night feedings....not so much. We need a great deal of improvement in the whole sleeping department!




The Mindful Path Through Shyness: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Help Free You from Social Anxiety, Fear, and Avoidance by Steve Flowers

It hasn't been until somewhat recently that I finally understood that I actually do have a social phobia as opposed to just "jokingly" saying that I do. I want to study and understand more about it. I'm not set on this book, but through searching around at Amazon, this one grabs my interest the most at the moment.




Lit!: A Christian Guide to Reading Books by Tony Reinke

I read a great deal, so I know I could benefit from this one.




The Backyard Homestead: Produce all the food you need on just a quarter acre! by Carleen Madigan

I really want to tighten up our budget and groceries are the biggest area we can work on. I don't want to have a big garden or anything like that, but I'd like to grow some of our food.




Large Family Logistics by Kim Brenneman

I don't have a large family, but I've saw that this one is great for any family(large and small) trying to stay on a tight budget.




Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food by Lysa Terkeurst

This will be a re-read, but simply put, I need to lose weight!




Married Mom, Solo Parent: Finding God's Strength to Face the Challenge by Carla Anne Coroy

Another re-read, but I need it. I'm allowing myself to "celebrate" with pity parties too often.






The Creative Family: How to Encourage Imagination and Nurture Family Connections by Amanda Blake Soule

This one is more of a want vs. need, but I do think reading this one would benefit my family.

4 comments:

  1. I'm having trouble with comments...before I wasn't being notified. Now I am moderating with emails being sent to me...but they don't come.

    Great list. I've heard of many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had problems with scheduling post either. But hearing of all the problems you and Annette are having with it -- I'm grateful and hopeful! Yowee that would be an annoyance!

    Your list of books could be MY list of books. I was scrolling through, smiling at the ones I've read. Each one I HADN'T read you made me WANT to read for all the same reasons you listed! Even on being shy and not a fan of the general public. ;D (It's true! I am SO shy and quiet in person and I dislike large gatherings for the most part.) I really have to forcefully and purposefully work with myself on this!

    Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annette-
    I need to make sure I haven't been missing comments! I did get an e-mail about these, so hopefully I haven't missed any.

    Carrie-
    I had you pictured as a very outgoing person, so I'm shocked that you aren't. :) I've allowed myself to get TOO comfortable just being secluded.

    There's several up there I really want to read based on your reviews. (I think 4 of them). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the Little Years and Healthy Sleep Habits sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete