Friday, December 2, 2011

This Little Prayer of Mine by Anthony DeStefano



WaterBrook Press (February 16, 2010) 40 pages

I think This Little Prayer of Mine is precious, and I definitely plan on keeping it on our bookshelf. That said, I knew about some of the issues others had with it. At one point a child asks if God will listen to his prayer, and another point where the child asks if God will love him forevermore. Of course! God will always listen to a child's prayer and He loves us all no matter what. I honestly didn't have an issue with it, but some of you might.

While I don't really care for "memorized" prayers, I do think this is a sweet book to get a child(and adults) thinking about praying. It's a reminder to thank God for His blessings along with our requests. It can definitely be read at any point, but I think This Little Prayer of Mine makes a perfect addition to our "Night, night" bookshelf.

"Whenever I feel really scared
and want to hide my head,
please help me to be brave and strong
and face my fears instead.
And when my heart is very sad,
and tears roll down my face,
please help me to be happy
so a smile can take their place."

I will be on the lookout for more of DeStefano's books!

*Thanks to Waterbrook Multnomah for my review copy in exchange for my honest opinion!

3 comments:

  1. I hadnt' heard of the issues surrounding this book. Does the book answer the questions that it asks? (I assume it does, but thought I'd best check!)

    If YOU like this one enough to keep it on your shelf,I'm going to have to look it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's written like a little child is actually saying a prayer, so I took it as completely innocent. It doesn't answer the child's question, though, since it's just him talking to God.
    It's definitely something that I will discuss with Grasshopper as he matures a bit, and watch his reaction to it all. I may change my mind later. :P
    I DO completely understand why some people would have an issue with it, though.

    ReplyDelete