Monday, October 10, 2011

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick



Scholastic Press (September 13, 2011) 640 pages
Source: Amazon Vine Advance Reader's Copy

My Review:

I think this is the most unique reading experience I've ever had. Wonderstruck is just a lovely book!

Many of you may remember a couple of weeks ago, I was debating whether or not to review this book. Obviously, I decided I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. I was a little worried about taking on a book that is over 600 pages as a review, but that wasn't an issue in the least. With 640 pages, only 148 were worded pages. (give or take a few-and that doesn't count picture pages that contained words). I sat down one night just to read a few pages and before I realized it, I was on page 311. I fell so completely in love with both the stories, I couldn't find out quick enough just how they would connect. Wonderstruck is a very quick read, despite its size!

As I've already mentioned, there's basicly two stories going on throughout the book. One story takes place in 1977 and is mostly told in words. The other story takes place in 1927 and is told through pictures. I really didn't know what to expect from the pictures before I got the book. I guess I had more of a comic book style in mind with several pictures on a page. There's one black and white picture that covers a two page spread. They move somewhat slowly, so that you can "read" the story by looking at the pictures. It was just so much fun for me!

Now that I've experienced the beauty of Wonderstruck, I can't wait to experience The Invention of Hugo Cabret. Obviously, I highly recommend you get a copy of this book! I hope to see many more from Brian in the future!

3 comments:

  1. I loved The Invention of Hugo Cabret and therefore have been itching to try this one. SO glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved Hugo Cabret and am loving this one so far!

    ReplyDelete