Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Dashwood Sisters Tell All by Beth Patillo



GuidepostsBooks (April 1, 2011) 272 pages

Description from Amazon:

Following Jane Austen Ruined My Life and Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart, Beth Pattillo returns with her new novel. Inspired by Sense and Sensibility, The Dashwood Sisters Tell All follows two modern-day sisters as they set out on a walking tour of Jane Austen's England and uncover what might actually be Jane's long-lost diary.
Ellen and Mimi Dodge have never been close, but their mother's dying wish sends them on a walking tour of Hampshire, England, that follows in the footsteps of Jane Austen. Their mother also left them something else: a diary that belonged to Jane's sister Cassandra. These pages shed light on the secrets that nearly tore the Austen sisters apart and inspired one of the greatest love stories of all time. They also bring Jane to life in a way that no one has ever seen before: through the eyes of her sister. As the Dodge sisters embark on their walking tour, they too are drawn together in ways they never expected. They also discover that Cassandra's diary holds secrets, and someone doesn't want Ellen and Mimi to discover the truth. As they stumble on their way toward love, the women learn how Jane and Cassandra Austen inspired the original Marianne and Elinor Dashwood and come to realize that despite their very different personalities, they are a vital part of each other's happy endings.

My Review:

I've gotten awful about writing up my reviews in a timely manner! Well, the ones that aren't for review, anyway. And since I've fallen in love with Pinterest, it's even harder to write them like I should! ;) I do have new inspiration for my reading nook that I've wanted forever, though.

I've read one other book by Beth, and that was Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart. I really liked it, except for the fact I wasn't positive she ended up with the right guy. I don't remember being sure I wanted her with either one, but it has been awhile.

I really enjoyed The Dashwood Sisters Tell All, though. It was very light and fun...and clean!! It's one of those great escape books that you just don't have to think too much while you read it.

"Is the lamb to your taste?" Ethan asked. He leaned toward me with a devilish air. "I don't suppose it can be as delicious as the company."

If an American had said that, I would have found it cheesy, but a posh British accent tends to make everything more attractive.

That reminds me of my younger years. I was convinced I wanted to marry a man with a British accent(or Australian). And not even a specific guy! ;) I don't actually recall ever meeting anyone with either accent. I don't think I even need to say that I'm glad I didn't, but I will just in case. I love the husband I have!

Things move incredibly fast in the love department! I think the book covers a week, so let's just say I found some of the decisions made a bit surprising. And there's also a relationship that goes against my Biblical beliefs. (Matt. 19:6-9)

Other than that, though, very fun!

3 comments:

  1. Light, fun and clean! It does make it a rather enjoyable read!

    And I'm laughing about Pinterest. It's totally sucking me in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one yet, but I want to. I'm intrigued with the relationship you mentioned. Is it with a divorced character?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie-
    I've been working on clearing out my bookmarked pages, since I can find everything so much easier at Pinterest. I love it!

    Joy-
    It is. Both of the main girls are unmarried, but one of them meets an old flame who has apparently just divorced. It never mentions that she died or anything, so I assume(along with the main character) that he's divorced. It could have gave a few extra details to make it okay, but it didn't.

    ReplyDelete