Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Peril in the Palace(Imagination Station) by Paul McCusker and Marianne Hering


Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. (April 18, 2011) 128 pages

Description from Amazon:
The place? China in 1271. The quest? The golden tablet of Kublai Khan. The problem? Just about everything!
The Imagination Station adventures continue as cousins Patrick and Beth are kidnapped by Mongol warriors. Only the friendship of fellow traveler Marco Polo saves them from harm. They are brought to the Mongol palace, where the Kublai Khan dislikes both their gifts and their message about Christianity. The tension grows when the Mongol magicians challenge the cousins to a spiritual power showdown. As war breaks out, Beth and Patrick are locked in a secret room to prevent their escape.
How do the cousins get the golden tablet they need to save Mr. Whittaker’s friend Albert? How do they escape the city and find the Imagination Station? Enter the perilous palace and find out!

My Review:
It wasn't until I saw a feature about Imagination Station on the Duggars(I don't remember which season) that I was introduced to Mr. Whitaker and the Adventures on Odyssey. Reading Peril in the Palace was my first adventure in Odyssey, though.

It seems to be written for even the youngest of readers. It's very simple and there's pictures throughout the book.

I would definitely have all four books ready and waiting. From the looks of this one, they all end with a major cliffhanger. It looks like you can read a couple of the books at The Imagination Station website. There's also activities, so definitely check it out if you're a Odyssey fan.
Whit's End is also a page to check out. It has info on the radio shows.

I really like that kids can have a fun, adventurous time in these books, and still be learning a bit of history in the process.

""Those costumes are great," Mr. Whitaker said. "You look just like Mongol children."

"Did you say mongrel?" Beth asked. "That's what my dog is."

Mr. Whitaker smiled. His kind eyes twinkled behind his round glasses.

"No, Beth," Mr. Whitaker said. "I said Mon-gol. The Mongols ruled all of China in the thirteenth century. Today their country is called Mongolia.""


*Thanks to Brigonia for my copy of Peril in the Palace that I won at her blog.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I am just WAITING for my kids to enjoy Odyssey. I LOVED it growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my! I grew up on Odyssey myself through the radio. I cannot imagine my childhood without it. I really look forward to sharing it with AppleBlossom and OrangeBlossom as they get a little older (and more attentive...).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I'd never heard of it until recently!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wish they were not so expensive (audio) to own. I have several casette discs from my childhood. But we do not currently have a casette player. I'm on the lookout for a good tape/cd player though for the girls.

    ReplyDelete