Friday, August 26, 2011

God Gave Us You by Lisa Tawn Bergren


WaterBrook Press; Brdbk edition (July 19, 2011) 22 pages

Description from Amazon:
When a charming polar bear cub climbs into bed one night, she asks her Mama a very important question:

“Where did I come from?”

As Mama bear tucks her youngest cub under the quilts, she lovingly explains, “We wanted you very, very much, and we are so very glad because…

“God gave us you.”

Perfect for bedtime, naptime, storytime or anytime, God Gave Us You builds children’s self-esteem and assures each one that he or she truly is a treasured gift from the Lord.

My Review:

I've got one of the other books in this series and really liked it! I was very excited that this one is a board book. Although Grasshopper takes pretty good care of his books, the board books are still better suited around my house.

We both liked the pictues(mostly) in this book. When I was trying to read through it quickly on my own, Grasshopper kept pulling it from me, because he wanted to see the pictures.

Other than that, unfortunately, I found the book to be a bit weird. If you get this book, your child definitely needs to fully understand that he/she grew in your belly. Grasshopper will be 3 next month, but he's behind with his comprehension. Even though he has a 4 month old brother, he doesn't have a clue that he came out of my belly. Don't get me wrong! I don't find growing a baby weird! The book just had an overall weirdness feel to me.

For example:

"Every night, I prayed for you, my special child.
I prayed that your bones would be straight and your heart would be strong. But most of all, I prayed that someday you would love God."


If not for the bones being straight part, that would have been beautiful.

If I have the opportunity, I will definitely try out the other books in this series, but I didn't care for this one.

*I was provided a review copy through the Blogging for Books program in exchange for my honest opinion.

3 comments:

  1. I love these books. Well I guess I really love everything from her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh! Interesting thoughts. I still haven't picked up any of the books in this series - although they do look very cute and look to have great appeal. But I do see how the bones being straight is kinda odd.

    Anyway, one of these days I'll pick up one of these books!

    ReplyDelete