Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Top Ten Books I Decided To Read Because of the Cover

Top Ten {Tuesday}


I know some people are cringing as they read this! I can't help it, though. I absolutely adore beautiful book covers! They are my favorite type of artwork. I especially love the ones that after reading the book, I can see what special part of the book the artist picked up to create it. Some book covers, you can tell the artist didn't put a whole lot of thought into the story or the characters when they created it. The ones that do, though...that's the ones that become the most beautiful to me.

These are the book covers that persuaded me to skim the book's description. I always skim reviews, because I don't like knowing too much about the story. I'm bad about starting a book and being surprised by something in the plot, only to discover later that the surprising aspect was written on the back cover all along. I do have to know a little about a book when I start it, unless it has been highly recommended by a trusted blogger. I might pick it up blindly then. :) But I find each of these book's descriptions intriguing along with the covers.





Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier

If you've been around my blog long, you'll know this is one of my favorite books ever! If you like fairy tale stories, I HIGHLY recommend you pick this one up! I plan on re-reading it very soon as part of the Contentment Reading Challenge. The artist did a beautiful job of capturing many parts of the story with this one. I picked it up recently and I'm still just amazed at the beauty of it!




Alice I Have Been: A Novel [DECKLE EDGE] (Hardcover) by Melanie Benjamin

I hate to even feature this book again, because I hated it. It's one of my favorite covers, though, and I definitely decided I HAD to read this one because of the cover. SO, it belongs on the list!




To Have and To Hold (Bridal Veil Island) by Tracie Peterson and Judith Miller

So dreamy! I haven't read this one. (I don't think it's released yet).




Tailor-Made Bride, A by Karen Witemeyer

Y'all know I'm obsessed with blue. This one is so much more beautiful in person, though! The story is just as beautiful, too!




Entwined
by Heather Dixon

Just Gorgeous...and again, beautiful story to go with the cover.




The Bards of Bone Plain by Patricia A. McKillip

I haven't read this one, but the cover is lovely.





The Grimm Legacy
by Polly Shulman

I find this one very intriguing! I haven't read it yet, though.






13 Treasures by Michelle Harrison

I actually like the 13 Secrets cover the most, but I do want to start with the first one.





Tiger's Curse (Book 1) by Colleen Houck

I saw this one in Wal-Mart one day, and stood there admiring the cover. I'd never heard of it, so I came home and did a quick skim of the description and decided this is another one I HAD to read. This past week, I traded for this one at swap.com. I'm very excited to read it! I know it's a picture of the audio book, but that's the cover I love so much. I keep finding the other cover. Although I really like it, I adore this one! :)






Rose of Winslow Street, The by Elizabeth Camden

I don't think this one comes out until next year.

I do want to point out that some of my favorite books have "not so pretty" covers, and I don't love them any less. Those books are usually the ones that I wasn't initially drawn to, but were recommeded. That's why I rely on my fellow book bloggers!! :) And I think I've had pretty good luck so far judging my books by their covers. ;)

4 comments:

  1. Fun! I'm with you. I ALWAYS judge a book by it's cover! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you can never judge a book by its' cover! LOL! But, I do agree with you, though! I love a beautiful book cover!

    I hope it's okay for me to mention this here? For my novel collection, Chesapeake Weddings, I've received several comments about how nice the cover was. Several people wanted to know who the lady was on the cover. I got so many requests that I contacted the cover artist and he showed me how he made my book cover. He was hired by Barbour Publishing to do a lot of book covers and the artist's company is called Dog-eared Design. For what it's worth, here's my blog post about the making of the cover of Chesapeake Weddings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had this post open for DAYS waiting to read it! I love these posts.

    And now I'm smiling because we're attracted to the same types of covers -- fairy-taleish, sparkly books. (That's what made me want to read Entwined at first!)

    Awesome. Might have to just steal this one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda-
    I'm glad I'm not alone!

    Cecelia-
    Thank you for the link!! I love seeing how artists came up with the book covers. It makes me feel more of a bond with the book. Crazy, huh?! :)

    Carrie-
    Its so funny that I'm not "sparkly" in my tastes in anything other than my book covers.
    I hope you do this one, too!! I love seeing other people's tastes in books! :)

    ReplyDelete