Tuesday, July 5, 2011

To Win Her Heart by Karen Witemeyer



Bethany House (May 1, 2011) 347 pages

Description: (from Amazon)
Having completed his sentence for the unintentional crime that derailed his youthful plans for fame and fortune, Levi Grant looks to start over in the town of Spencer, Texas. Spencer needs a blacksmith, a trade he learned at his father's knee, and he needs a place where no one knows his past. But small towns leave little room for secrets...

Eden Spencer has sworn off men, choosing instead to devote her time to the lending library she runs. When a mountain-sized stranger walks through her door and asks to borrow a book, she steels herself against the attraction he provokes. His halting speech and hesitant manner leave her doubting his intelligence. Yet as the mysteries of the town's new blacksmith unfold, Eden discovers hidden depths in him that tempt her heart.

Levi's renewed commitment to his faith leads Eden to believe she's finally found a man of honor and integrity, a man worthy of her love. But when the truth about his prodigal past comes to light, can this tarnished hero find a way to win back the librarian's affections?

My Review:
If you've ever read a Karen Witemeyer book before, then I know you don't need me to convince you to read another one! If you haven't read one, then you're really missing out. I became an instant fan after reading A Tailor-Made Bride. I just absolutely adore Karen's style of writing. She truly pulls you in the story and you love the characters like you know them.

Levi's character just really pulled at my heartstrings. He was a true "gentle giant." He can't pronounce the letter "s" without lisping, so he has to find words that don't include that letter. I know that really had to slow down the writing process, and thought it was extremely creative on Karen's part. There are only two instances(that I recall) that Levi uses a word with the letter "s" and I won't lie, the last time brought tears to my eyes! It was just so incredibly sweet!
I also love that Eden runs a library out of her home, along with making artwork out of dried and pressed flowers. How wonderful would both of those be?!

There's so many other characters to fall in love with, too. It was just so easy to connect to all of them and I hated to see it end. I can't wait to read more from Karen!

*I was provided a review copy from Bethany House in exchange for my honest opinion.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there! I saw your comment on another blog that you haven't read the Chronicles of Narnia, and I just wanted to encourage you to do so. They've been some of my favorite books since I was a little girl, and I re-read them regularly. They are WONDERFUL!

    Enjoyed visiting your blog. Hope you'll stop by and say hi!

    Cindy @ Cindy's Book Club

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! :) I loved this book, as well!

    I just wanted to let you know that you were "tagged" on my blog today. :) No need to participate if you don't want to, but if you're interested here's the URL:

    http://seasonsofhumility.blogspot.com/2011/07/tag-youre-it.html

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is my favorite from Karen so far. Yet I definitely look forward to more. :)

    ReplyDelete