Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Top Ten Classics I Intend To Read...Eventually

Top Ten {Tuesday}


If you've been around my blog very long, you know that I'm not very well-read when it comes to the classics. While I've read some that I've enjoyed, there's others that I've disliked or had a very hard time getting interested. While there's many more I want to read, these are probably the top ten.





Betsy-Tacy (Betsy-Tacy Books)
by Maud Hart Lovelace


I won Emily of Deep Valley from Annette @ Live, Learn, Love a few weeks back. She had me really wanting to read these books!! I've started reading Emily's story and I am really enjoying it so far!!






Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Mongomery


This is one that I've been intending to read since back in January, as part of the Lucy Maud Montgomery Reading Challenge. I had intended to listen to it on audio, but then decided I'd rather read it. I checked out my library's copy, but it is one of those books that make use of every single bit of page it can. I had to pull on the page every time I got to the last word in the sentence. That got annoying!! Then I downloaded a copy on my Kindle......Hello migraines!! So.... I finally ordered myself a copy, and I've had it a few weeks now. Hopefully, it will get read soon. :)






The Adventures of Johnny Chuck, with Illustrations by Harrison Cady
by Thornton W. Burgess


I saw a review of another book by this author last week during Read Aloud Thrusday(hosted by Hope is the Word). It just re-inforced my desire to read this one. Grasshopper has been toting it around with him looking at the picture on the front.






Freckles
by Gene Stratton-Porter


Sadly, I had never heard of this author until I saw a review recently.







Nancy Drew Mystery Stories : The Secret of The Old Clock and The Hidden Staircase
by Carolyn Keene

This is another one that I kept from my childhood.









Emma
or Sense and Sensibility (Oxford World's Classics) by Jane Austen

Since I've tried several times to read Pride and Prejudice, and failed, I decided maybe I should try one of the other books.






Elsie Dinsmore by Martha Finley


I've read a little bit of the first book, and Elsie really doesn't seem like my kind of heroine, but I do want to continue reading to make sure.







Anything by Grace Livingston Hill


I have several of Grace's books, but haven't read any of them yet.






Little Town on the Prairie (Little House)





P. G. Wodehouse


I have The Girl in Blue.

15 comments:

  1. Great list!

    I need to read more GLH...and have a big box to read...some originals!
    I will be trying Wodehouse, too. You know I love MHL and LMM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read several GLH books, and hands down, the absolute best book of hers is Crimson Roses. A friend recommended that one to me as her favorite, and it wasn't difficult to see why.

    Oh, and the Anne books...I've read the first 3, but it was so long ago I couldn't tell ya whether or not I had a hard time reading them. I mostly wanted to read them b/c of the movies. If you give up on them, try her Emily series. It's just 3 books, and I had those read lickety-split!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read every book on your list, and every one I got to, I thought, "Oh, yes! Read this!"
    If you end up liking Freckles, can I recommend one of my very favorite young adult books, Girl of the Limberlost. Wonderful story, and it is based in the same area as Freckles. There is also an appearance of Freckles in the book.
    I love the Anne series (just reread the whole series on my Kindle :), but the Emily series is also very, very good. A standalone book of hers that I love is The Blue Castle. It's a really great book, and very different from the Anne series.
    I could go on and on! I hope you get to these books on your list. They are well worth the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I'm now following you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annette-
    Originals! I'm so jealous! :) There was several of them (like 15?) packaged together at Goodwill for almost nothing, so I thought I would see how I liked them.

    Christy-
    I'll have to look through mine to see if I have Crimson Roses. (hopefully)! :)
    I've actually really like Anne of Green Gables from what I've read so far. I've just got to finish it. I have so many books I want to read, sometimes I end up starting several at a time. :P

    Tiffany-
    I think I need to dedicate a month to just classics!! I'm missing out!
    And thank you for following. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this list... and would love to hear your book reviews on the ones you end up reading. i finished pride & prejudice about a month ago... and it took me a WHILE to get through it. there are so many classics from my youth that i never read in school or just read the cliff notes and now i wish i read them all... i need to make a list. thanks for stopping by my blog... i'm now following yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Nancy Drew series as a young girl. They kept me intrigued and flipping those pages quickly. I wonder if I'd still like them now! Good list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and one more recommendation...

    Check out Kilmeny of the Orchard by L.M. Montgomery, if you get the chance. You can probably get it free for Kindle, too, since it's so old. I read that when I was a teenager, and LOVED every second of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had your post up since yesterday waiting for a chance to read it!

    Anne of Green Gables - YES!

    I hate Elsie Dinsmore.

    WODEHOUSE! Woo hoo! =)

    Get to it, girl! ;) (Like, you know, whenever you have time or something.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. I'm stealing your post idea. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found you via Carrie @Reading to Know. What a fun list! Btw, if you're interested in reading the Betsy-Tacy series you might likewise be interested in the Maud Hart Lovelace Reading Challenge, which I hold annually in October.

    You can see past years here: http://libraryhospital.blogspot.com/search/labelMaud%20Hart%20Lovelace%20Reading%20Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list! I'm going to try to post my own. . . Sometime. :-)

    If you get to Freckles and like it, you must read Girl of the Limberlost! I read it and reviewed it on my blog a few years ago. It is wonderful!! As for L.M. Montgomery, you really can't beat Anne, 'though I'm pretty partial to Emily, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. S Mehrens-
    Lord willing, I will be there! :)
    I knew there was a challenge in October, but I wasn't sure where it was.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amy-
    I'm almost positive I've seen the movie Girl of the Limberlost, but I can't remember what it was about. I'm going to go check out your review! :)

    I think I'm going to read the first Emily book when I finish Anne. It seems like Emily is more my kind of girl....but we'll see. :) I've been getting my review copies knocked out, so I can get lost in some Classics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read Emma last year. The witty dialogue is so worth it.

    ReplyDelete