Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Let's Get Real by Dale and Jena Forehand



NavPress (January 28, 2011) 192 pages

Description: (from Amazon)
By studying seven essentials based on God's Word and His Son for a fulfilling marriage, you and your spouse will be inspired to make your marriage thrive.

The Let's Get Real workbook outlines the same

My Review:
I'm probably not the best person to be giving this book a review. It's designed to be most beneficial to a married couple working through it together. I read it by myself, so while I did gain some great pointers, I think I could have gotten a great deal more out of it if it was a study with my husband. We don't all have reading husbands, though. ;)

When I first started reading Let's Get Real, I wondered if I should really be taking advice from this couple. They start the book out telling what happened before, during, and after their divorce. It's really a horrible story! But then I thought if they could go through what they did, and FORGIVE each other and get remarried, then maybe I could learn a few things from them!

There's good things and bad things about Let's Get Real, like probably most books out there. I liked that they keep God the main focus. They teach that God has to be the center of a marriage. There's several thoughts that I have taken away from the book that if I practice, I know will strengthen my marriage. There's also a few bits of parenting wisdom tucked in the pages, too.

I don't like that some of the advice is with the assumption that certain things are true for everyone. For example, they say the most important need for a man is to feel important and a woman's is intimacy. While that may be true for most, I don't think that's true of everyone. I remember reading the book His Needs, Her Needs by Willard Harley awhile back. (I'm not necessarily recommending this book, because it's been so long since I read it, so I would need to refresh my memory). It lists ten different needs of both men and women. We're all different.

I think this book can be studied by any "religion" as long as you believe in God. The one exception is the last chapter on how to be saved. They have the Prayer of Salvation included. That's just not my personal belief. I believe in baptism(full submersion under water at an accountable age for the remission of my sins). I do believe before that "hear, believe, repent, confess", and then baptism. Again, that's just my personal belief. Since it is in the book, though, I feel the need to point it out. :)

Overall, this is a good "in general" study if you are doing it by yourself. If you read and study it as a couple, I THINK you could come away with a great deal more at the end.

*I was provided a review copy from Navpress in exchange for my honest opinion.

3 comments:

  1. Huh. Well. That sounds like an interesting book and one that is written by a couple with an interesting perspective. I'm really not quite sure what to make of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband's not a reader either. :( So frustrating. And too bad, because I wanted to slip him a copy of The Love Dare a few years ago...which of course is not the point of the book. I should have been doing it, not hoping he would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie-
    After reviewing it, I saw someone else say it seems like a book for troubled marriages...I agree. It almost seems like a counseling session. I think it could be good or bad depending on what the person was looking for. (like most books, I guess) :)

    Joy-
    I agree! It is frustrating at times! :) I got a book review offer for a marriage book for men. I asked if he would like to read it, and he very hastily replied, "No!" Oh well, I tried. :)

    ReplyDelete