Friday, June 24, 2011

Hourglass by Myra McEntire



EgmontUSA (June 14, 2011) 400 pages

I thought this book was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!! If you like young adult "paranormal" books at all, I highly recommend it! By paranormal, I don't mean any type of creatures. :)

Emerson is a seventeen year old girl who sees "ghosts" from the past. When she touches them, they disappear. She lives with her older brother and his wife, since they lost both their parents four years earlier. To help her get rid of her visions, Emerson's brother hires Michael to help her. With Michael's help, she is introduced to others like herself. Among them, there is Kaleb, who has recently lost his dad. With those three a nice love triangle from two worthy opponents is formed. (think Sweet Home Alabama, Here on Earth, and Twilight).

I knew the plot sounded intriguing from the description, but I didn't think I would end up liking it as much as I did. It's really a lot like a young adult X-Men, but with different types of powers. McEntire has created wonderful characters and I think you'll really like the hero of the story!! :) She keeps you guessing until the end who's good and bad. It was a very unique story (for me, anyway) to add to the book world!

Again, HIGHLY recommended!

Was it clean?
Mostly, yes. There's mild profanity scattered throughout the story. The romance probably isn't appropriate for young readers, but nothing happens.

*I was provided an Advanced Reader Copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Can't say this is my type of read and I normally would have glossed over such a review. But you were right about Entwined so I can't dismiss anything else that you say is AWESOME. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big X-Men fan, so I loved it!

    Knowing you're not a romance reader, I'd be a LITTLE more hesitant recommending this one to you. It's not quite as innocent as Entwined. Nothing bad happens, but it's a bit heavier on the romance. I'm still learning your reading style, though, so I don't know. ??

    It's one of my favorite reads lately, though. :)

    ReplyDelete