Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Aunt Dimity's Death by Nancy Atherton




The only reason I'm "reviewing" this book is because it was on one of my Top Ten lists and I mentioned that it was clean. I had saw a review of it saying that it was clean, but I did NOT find it clean. I'm pretty picky about the language in my books, though. I only got about a third of the way through it before I stopped reading. There was lots of profanity, including "gd", which automatically puts a book on MY not clean list. I can deal with "minor" words of profanity, as long as they don't happen TOO often.

I've had this happen to me a good bit. I would find a book on a clean list and read it only to be shocked. I know that that most likely will happen on my lists, too. We all have different comfort levels as far as different things with books go. I'm picky about sex scenes, language, drug use, detailed violence. I'm not so picky about paranormal elements, romance and stuff like that. There's one particular author that I absolutely love, but I know that there's lots of language in his books, so I've had to talk myself out of reading anymore of them. Sometimes it's hard! I've just really been motivated to re-evaluate what I choose to read lately. (If anyone knows of any clean FICTION books about Native American mythology, I'd love some suggestions)! :)

As I was browsing through a clean book list a few days ago, more than one person listed a couple of books that I've reviewed stating that they were VERY(they capitallized!) clean. Well, one of those books was put on my "on the fence" list and one very easily made on my "not clean" list. On the opposite side, I've also recently saw a list that said Jane Austen books were NOT clean. So, each person's definition of clean is VASTLY different. I do want to point out that I'm not judgemental of anyone who is more or less strict than me. ;)

What about you? What turns you from a book? And if I ever have a book on my clean list that you would like to dispute, I won't be offended at all. I'll always add any details you feel necessary. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment