Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Heart Most Worthy by Siri Mitchell



Bethany House (March 1, 2011) 379 pages

Luciana and her grandmother(The Contessa) has fled from their home in Rome after Luciana's father is killed. The killer is after them, also. AnnaMaria is the oldest of her family and therefore has to take care of her family. She cannot get married until her parents die. Julietta longs for love. Madame Fortier tries to hide her past life and become a completely different person. She claims to be French and now runs a dress shop in America. All 4 women are Italian and will grow closer through working at this dress shop. I would say these are the main characters, but there's lots more.

The narration of this story was unlike any book I've ever read before. I knew that it would be a bit different from a few of the reviews I had read, but it's something that you don't really understand until you read the book. To me, it was like I was reading/watching a play. The narrator would tell you what was going on inside each person's head in each scene. One sentence might be one person's thoughts while the next has moved on to another character. And then it's almost like the lights of the play go out and the narrator gives you bits of information to make you understand WHY the person is thinking or acting like they are. And, what's best is that it's not near as confusing as you might think! :)It was actually wonderful to get inside so many characters minds. It was also odd to be inside a character's mind one minute and later, they are dead. Yes, Siri doesn't mind killing off characters. It does make the story more real, but still shocking. There's so many characters, though, that this isn't a spoiler!

The history in A Heart Most Worthy was also great. I learned about things I had no idea about. I never realized that Italians suffered through so much prejudice, not only from Americans, but from themselves(different regions). I also didn't know that influenza killed SO MANY people. It was an educating read for me.
This is the second book I've read from Siri and I'm just amazed at how much history she puts in her books. A Heart Most Worthy was just a beautiful book!

*I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment