Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Fairer Than Morning by Rosslyn Elliott



Thomas Nelson (May 10, 2011) 400 pages

Description:
Ann dreams of a marriage proposal from her poetic suitor—until she meets a runaway apprentice who knows what a truly noble man is.

In 1826, Ann Miller travels to Pittsburgh with her widowed father and two young sisters, only to find that a mysterious man has pursued them all the way from Ohio. Is Ann’s father just a circuit minister, or is he hiding something that may endanger them all?

Will Hanby indentures with a Pittsburgh saddle maker, only to discover that his master is a cold-hearted tyrant. After years of abuse, Will becomes a prisoner of his own mind. But then lovely Ann Miller comes to stay next door and her compassion lights a long-dark part of Will’s soul. His renewed courage puts his life in jeopardy as he begins to assist fugitive slaves.

Will's murderous master and Ann's questions about her family may keep both of them bound in the shadows forever. Or will they find freedom—together?

My Review:
I just didn't want to put this book down once I got started reading. Upon starting the story I didn't fully understand what the book was about. I didn't realize it mostly revolved around slavery and an apprentice with an extremely cruel master. It just broke my heart to read about how evil some people were and are.
I've never had a problem with flipping to the end of a book and reading the ending. What I DO have a hard time NOT doing is reading the author's note at the end. Almost every time, the ending of the story is given away, so as I've mentioned before, don't read the author's note until the end! ;) I did learn from reading it, though, that the main characters are real and parts of the story are true. That made me appreciate the book even more. And from my understanding, the story will continue in the rest of the series. Most the time I actually prefer stand alones, just so I don't have to read in any specific order. I very much hope that the characters carry over this time, though. I really want to learn more about characters and their families and the work they do.
I thought this was an amazing book!

*I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

SatReviewbutton

5 comments:

  1. awww...I loved seeing the pictures of your boys. And I think your nicknames for them are cute. ;)

    Most of my reading time was during nursing my son at night. Consequently, I don't remember most of those books ;)

    But I'm so glad your baby is in your arms :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :)

    I held Firefly so much that he's now spoiled to being held, which is fine with me! He's growing so fast already!! Like you, though, my reading this past week has been with him in my arms. I've decided to knock out some Kindle reading at night, since I'm up anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the Kindle is great for "nursing" reading. The outisde of my Kindle broke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this one! It just came in the mail this week. I'm looking forward to it.

    Hope Firefly is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julia- Awww, I hate your kindle broke. I don't have an actual one. I just downloaded the free one from Amazon, so I could download the free e-books that I really wanted when they came up. My computer is like a nightlight. :)

    Joy- I was very impressed with it!! I hope you like it, too.
    Firefly is doing great and growing like a weed already. In just 15 days, he put on a pound and 6 ounces and grew an inch and a half. That's just crazy!! :)

    ReplyDelete