Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Abandon by Meg Cabot




Point (April 26, 2011) 320 pages

My Review:
This was my first time to read anything by Meg Cabot. She's the author of the books that The Princess Diaries and Avalon High were based on, just in case you didn't know. I really enjoyed all three of those movies. I think this series is a bit darker, though. From what I can tell looking around she has a pretty wide range of book topics.

Abandon was an interesting read! The story is loosely based on the myth of Hades and Persephone. I'm somewhat familiar with the story, since I read Radiant Darkness by Emily Whitman last year(which was the story with a twist).

Pierce is a 17 year old girl who died a couple of years ago due to a drowning accident, but is brought back to life. She starts having trouble with school and life in general, including the suicide of one of her friends. Her and her mom decide it's best to move to a new place that translates, Island of Bones.
John is an around 19 year old guy that she meets and gets to know a bit throughout the story. If you know the story of Hades and Persephone, then you'll pretty much know the main points of the plot, but I still don't think you'll figure out all of it.

Cabot has a unique type of writing, at least in this book. I really liked the story, but part of it drive me insane!! It goes back and forth in time so much that it was sometimes confusing. You VERY slowly find out exactly what happened 2 years ago when Pierce died. I was thinking that I wish Cabot would just tell us already. In present time, I think the book only covers a few days time. I still really enjoyed it, despite that, though. The ending is a definite cliffhanger, so I'm really looking forward to the next book, Underworld.

Was it clean?
Mostly, yes. There's a few of the "minor" words of profanity. There's some talk and references that make it not totally innocent, but nothing bad, by any means.

*I was provided an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

1 comment:

  1. I've been wondering about this book! I thought it was vampire fiction at first but I'm glad to know it's something different. I'll definitely have to pick this up soon! Thank you for the great review.

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete