Thursday, April 14, 2011

Fifo "50 States" by Hayley Rose



Inkwell Productions (November 16, 2010) 106 pages
Ages 4-8(and up)

Description:
Fifo has been bitten by the travel bug! Digging up diamonds in Arkansas, looking for fossils in Kansas, enjoying a delicious bowl of gumbo in Louisiana, and even seeing a Broadway show in New York. America is an exiting place! In Fifo's second book, told in rhyme, Fifo dreams about visiting all 50 states. A colorful reference-like book, Fifo discovers the wonders each state has to offer. He learns along the way each state's capital, shape, flag, motto, and much, much more. The possibilities are endless! So, come along with Fifo and you'll soon discover the beauty of America one state to another.

About the Author:
Hayley Rose grew up in the beach side town of Pacific Palisades, California, to a family of visual artists. In the early 90's she traveled the U.S. with her band Crush Violet. In 1994, after a family reunion, she was inspired to write a children's book. Her first book, Fifo When I Grow Up was published in 2002. Fifo 50 States is the second in the Fifo series. Along with writing children's books, Hayley has been working in entertainment business management for the past 15 years specializing in concert touring. She has worked with many A list musicians, and hopes to one day soon release an album of children's songs. She is currently a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators, and resides in Los Angeles, CA.
Illustrated by Jessie B. Orlet

My Review:
As a mom who hopes to homeschool, I'm thrilled to have Fifo "50 States" on our bookshelf!! There is just so much information in it, and there's really something for all ages. I know it is mostly intended for ages 4-8, but I doubt most of us know all of the facts about each state. There's a great deal that I don't know, so it's a great lesson for me, too.

Each state has its own two pages. On the left side is a poem that teaches the state's number, capital, flower, tree, bird, and the state's motto is at the bottom. The poem for each one is basicly the same, except certain words are replaced for each state. You may or may not like this, but I loved that about it. I'm not a teacher, but it seems like it will make it easier to learn.
On the right page is a picture with all kinds of different highlights from that state, including the flag and a picture of the state. Of course, since each state has different things that make it stand out, all the pictures are very unique. I think it would be fun to let your child go on a "treasure hunt" in each picture and find all the different highlights of the state. For example, Pennsylvania has a groundhog and hersheys kisses in its picture, along with lots of other items! This isn't a book you would want to just read straight through.

The only somewhat complaint I have is that it is paperback. I would have prefered hardcover for this type of book, but I think it provides such a fun learning experience that I'd overlook the paperback part. :)

I just adored this book, and again, I'm so glad it is on our shelves. We will definitely make use of Fifo "50 States" when we start to study geography, whether we homeschool or not!

Click HERE to visit the website where you can learn more about the book. Click on the home link and you can actually take a peek inside the book, which I recommend! :)

*I was provided a review copy of this book through the Pump Up Your Book tour in exchange for my honest opinion.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the fab review. I am glad you liked the book!

    Best,
    Hayley
    www.fifothebear.com
    www.facebook.com/fifothebearbooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome! :) I very much enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm, no posts in a week. Does that mean there's a new little one at home? Just checking in to see if you've had the baby yet. :) Happy Easter to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. :) We all came home yesterday, so we had a very happy Easter today!! If I can pry myself away from my little ones, I plan on doing a post soon. :)
    I hope you and your family had a very happy Easter, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yay!! I'm so glad to see this note. I was just wondering today if the baby came yet :)

    Enjoy the little one and watching your "big" one with him :).

    ReplyDelete