Saturday, February 12, 2011

Made to Crave by Lisa TerKeurst (book and DVD series)




About the book:
Just because a woman finally fits into her skinny jeans doesn't mean she's won her battle with food. Too often, women overlook the spiritual component to their physical struggle with healthy eating. Made to Crave taps into the desires God gave you to consume food without letting food consume you!

Made to Crave is the missing link between a woman's desire to be healthy and the spiritual empowerment necessary to make that happen. The reality is we were made to crave. Craving isn't a bad thing. But we must realize God created us to crave more of him. Many of us have misplaced that craving by overindulging in physical pleasures instead of lasting spiritual satisfaction. If you are struggling with unhealthy eating habits, you can break the "I'll start again Monday" cycle, and start feeling good about yourself today. Learn to stop beating yourself up over the numbers on the scale. Discover that your weight loss struggle isn't a curse but rather a blessing in the making, and replace justifications that lead to diet failure with empowering go-to scripts that lead to victory. You can reach your healthy weight goal - and grow closer to God in the process. This is not a how-to book. This is not the latest and greatest dieting plan. This book is the necessary companion for you to use alongside whatever healthy lifestyle plan you choose. This is a book and Bible study to help you find the "want to" in making healthy lifestyle choices. 224 pages. Companion Bible study DVD set also available HERE.

About the DVD series:
If you want to maximize your experience and bring these teachings to life in a way you’ll never forget, you’ll want to order the full set of resources. Adding the DVD teaching series and the workbook will motivate you to get healthy without feeling deprived, lose the weight in a permanent way, and find the peace your body, mind and soul desires. This DVD study can be done in a group or by yourself.


The Bundle is only available through Proverbs 31 Ministries, so CLICK HERE to order!

I'm sorry, but I couldn't get the book trailer to work properly, so please go HERE to watch it.


I’m so upset that blogger deleted half my post, including my review! I had taken notes and I’ll do my best to re-create it. Sometimes you just want to cry over the simplest things! ;) I think I remembered most of it, but I know I left out some things. Lesson: ALWAYS save your review in a document until it actually posts!!

My review of the book:

There were so many times that it was like Lisa was taking thoughts from my weight loss journey. Like when she mentions at the beginning how she used to wish she had a minor health problem just so she could have an easy fix for weight. SOOOO me!! When I went for my sleep study, among other reasons, I hoped I had sleep apnea, just so there would be an easy fix. I’ve often wondered if maybe I had a thyroid problem. Nope! Just me and my bad habits. I love how Lisa uses humor throughout the book. We have to laugh at ourselves sometimes, right? ;) She’s also very honest about the struggles you WILL have. Losing weight is extremely hard and there’s just no easy fix. I think anyone who has struggled with weight will easily relate to Lisa and Made to Crave.

.I’ve read lots of diet books and they usually leave me discouraged. This is NOT a diet book. I really look at it as more of a devotional type book. Lisa leaves the choice of what type of diet you choose completely up to you. I really like that, because there are tons of diets out there and everybody is different and needs a different type of diet. I’m a vegetarian, so that leaves out lots of diets for me. Some are diabetic, etc. This book leaves all that open, so it’s completely usable by everyone.

There’s questions at the end of each chapter. When I read a couple of the ones from the first chapter, I won’t lie, I thought they were crazy. BUT, after those, there were some GREAT questions!! They really make you think and dig deep for the answers.

Lisa proves that you just can’t succeed without God’s help. She really keeps Him as the main focus of the journey and I greatly appreciate that. I know that’s why I haven’t succeeded. I’ve left God out of my weight loss journey. This time anyway. In my younger years, I lost 40 pounds and kept it off for several years. Marriage and a child and another pregnancy have put that weight and more back on. If I had God as the center the first time, maybe I wouldn’t have let it get back out of control.

I truly think that this series is just the boost I need to get it together.



My review of the DVD:

I didn’t get the DVD and participants guide until Wednesday of last week, so I just haven’t got to do all the sessions. I know I’m one of the last to post a review, so I did have more time than most the participants, but unfortunately, I just didn’t get them all in. I DO think that I saw enough that I can give a legitimate review.

About a year ago, me and my sister went to a weight loss meeting. They spent the entire time talking about what type of spanx to wear and other non-weight loss related topics. (By the way, I see nothing wrong with spanx. ;) Sometimes it’s necessary). We were looking for encouragement, and needless to say, we left very discouraged with that group. I think that day would have been very different if they had been using this program! Made to Crave and Lisa are very encouraging.

I was really impressed at how much the DVD IS like a devotional. She uses lots of Bible verses and passages. It is designed for a small group discussion, but I think it would be great as just an individual study, too. I know there are certain parts that would probably be more beneficial as a group, but I think an individual could do it all perfectly fine. I also think this study would make an excellent morning devotional! What better way to start the day than with God’s word and have an encouraging boost for your weight loss journey?! That is my plan in a couple of months after our little one gets here.

This is coming from a VERY thrifty momma….This program is a GREAT deal!! I don’t think you could find anything similar for the price and quality. I was very impressed with this whole program!



About Lysa:
Lysa TerKeurst is an author and speaker who helps everyday women live an adventure of faith through following Jesus Christ. As president of Proverbs 31 Ministries, Lysa has led thousands to make their walk with God an invigorating journey.

Lysa wrote the book Made to Crave from the perspective of a woman who has never craved a carrot stick in her whole life. Having struggled with her weight her whole adult life, Lysa knows what it feels like to be in the vicious cycle of gaining and losing, but never feeling at peace in her struggle. Everything changed when Lysa decided to have her deepest desire met by God not food. Now, armed with the spiritual motivation she gained in her own journey, she is inspiring others to find lasting victory.

As a nationally known speaker, Lysa has been passionately teaching women God’s truths for years. Lysa’s personal adventures of following God led to appearances on The Oprah Winfrey Show, Good Morning America, The 700 Club, USA Today newspaper, Woman’s Day magazine, and Focus on the Family radio.

Today, Lysa and her ministry team at Proverbs 31 Ministries encourage more than 375,000 women through their daily online devotional. In addition, she co-hosts a 1-minute inspirational radio program aired on more than 1,200 stations around the world. Plus, she touches hearts through their monthly magazine, P31 Woman. Lysa’s blog averages over 70,000 avid readers per month. She is the award-winning author of 14 books, including her newest releases, Made to Crave and Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl. Other noteworthy books include What Happens When Woman Say Yes to God, What Happens When Women Walk in Faith, Capture His Heart, and Capture Her Heart. Visit Lysa's website for more info and to visit her blog!

To buy Made to Crave, CLICK HERE

Go HERE to visit the main blog post about Made to Crave and visit all the other blogs participating in this tour.

*I received this book and DVD series in connection with the Litfuse Publicity Tour. I was not required to give a positive opinion. This is my honest view of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment