Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint




Firebird (April 6, 2006) 368 pages

Description: (from Amazon)
Seventeen-year-old Imogene jumps at the chance to lose her bad girl reputation when her family moves to a new town. She purposely lays low at Redding High, only making friends with Maxine, a shy, studious girl who is Imogene's opposite in every way. Despite a few run-ins with the ruling football jock and his cheerleader girlfriend, Imogene keeps her temper in check and even lends some of her bravado to Maxine, who begins to come out of her straight-A shell. Things are going well for the new friends--until the day Imogene meets Adrian, the benign ghost of a boy who died in the school's parking lot. Adrian and Imogene's unusual connection attracts the unwelcome attention of Redding High's resident Little People, or fairies. Affronted by streetwise Imogene's lack of belief in them, the fairies set into motion a malevolent prank that will not only turn Imogene completely blue from head to toe, but pit her, Adrian and Maxine against some of the most frightening beings of the Otherworld--the soul-sucking Anamithims.

My Review:
For me, it's a shame that there was so much profanity in this book. While it's only the second book I've read by Charles de Lint, he is one of those authors that I think is a brilliant writer! Right there with J.K. Rowlings and Jan Karon. There are just some authors that really stand out, and de Lint is definitely one of them.

I will say that The Blue Girl didn't impress me nearly as much a Someplace To Be Flying. TBG was about fairies, though, which just isn't my favorite subject. After reading only a few fairie stories, they seemed so repetitive that I tired of them quickly.(And they are just so mean)!! De Lint does have fresh material on the world of fairies, so I did still greatly enojoy most of this book. Also, Someplace To Be Flying was a combination of Native American and Celtic folklore. It was unlike anything I had ever read before and I just loved it.(minus the profanitity). It has really stuck with me after reading it.

I have recently saw that de Lint has a young adult book written that is appropriate for young readers, so I hope to read it soon. I would love for everyone to at least have a taste of a clean Charles de Lint book. And I'm not giving up on his young adult books quite yet. I'm hoping that maybe because of the main character in this story, maybe some of the other books won't have as much profanity. BUT, if that doesn't bother you, I definitely recommend de Lint. He has lots of books to choose from, including adult and young adult.

Parental Concerns:
I'm going to start doing this section a bit different from now on. I've kind of combined ideas with a couple of different clean read sites for this. (Focus on the Family and Common Sense Media). I just feel like it will help you, as a reader, decide better whether or not a book is for you.

Christian Beliefs
There’s mention of God a few times, but there’s really no kind of belief there. The main character actually doesn’t believe in God.

Authority Figures
The two dads of the story really aren’t around. There’s mention of one of them being a “pothead.”
One of the moms is VERY strict and the other is the opposite. I wouldn’t call either of the moms a horrible example, but definitely not great examples.

Language/ Violence
Unfortunately, there’s tons of cussing. It contains pretty much all the main words of profanity, except the “f” word.
There’s a lot of bullying in this book. It was leaving a pretty good message as far as that topic, but then one of the characters has enough and takes her knife and cuts a bully and kicks him in the head. In the story, it was self defense, but I still don’t think I like that scene being added.
There’s also some mention of the main character’s life before the story takes place. She wasn’t the best role model, but she seems to be trying hard to get it together and study and not skip school and all.

Other Beliefs
There’s fairys, ghosts, imaginary friends, “darkness,” “angels,” the mention of banshees, etc. There’s also lots of talk about what kinds of objects will protect you from these creatures.

Kissing/Sex/Homosexuality
There’s a couple of references to kissing, but no details. The two ghosts mention having sex a couple of times, but no details.

Drinking/Drugs/Smoking/Alcohol
One of the ghost smokes. Again, there’s the brief mention of one of the dad’s smoking pot. I really don’t recall any other scenes with these subjects.

Gambling/Lying
There’s some lying, but for the MOST part the kids are honest with their parents. The author actually seems to make a point of teaching against lying. BUT, there is a scene of lying to the police, which contradicted that whole thing.

Overall, if not for the language, this would have been a pretty clean book. I really appreciate that the author doesn't seem to greatly detail ANY of the "bad" stuff. :)

2 comments:

  1. I like this style of review. It's a lot of work though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprisingly, it's easier for me. It kind of gives me a better starting point of what to look for, and I jot down notes as I'm reading.
    I'm glad you like it, though. :)

    ReplyDelete