Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Wolf of Tebron by C.S. Lakin (The Gates of Heaven Series)



AMG Publishers (August 13, 2010)272 pages

Description:
A young blacksmith must undertake a perilous journey to the four ends of the world to rescue his wife, who is held captive by the Moon. Along the way, he befriends a powerful wolf who encourages, protects, and ultimately sacrifices his life to save his human friend. A stirring allegory of Gods love in classic fairy tale tradition.

My Review:
It took me a little while to get into the story. I really think this is one you have to fully commit to reading or you won’t like it. I went back and forth between really liking parts of it and hating it. I found a lot of it confusing and weird, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. The more you read, the more details are given. The ending clears up all other loose ends.
This story is suppose to be a representation of God’s love and devotion. I’m not going to review on that aspect of the story, because that makes it even more confusing and I’m not totally sure I like it as a representation of God.
I didn’t like that Joran seemed so immature throughout most of the story, but he did grow throughout, so I’m sure that was the point. I also really wished he seemed to love his wife more through most of the story. He only goes to save her to get relief from his nightmares.
Again, if you read to the end, you’ll like this story more, but it’s not one for everybody. I had a difficult time through most of it. And this is a Christian book, but you can totally read it as simply a fairy tale. I think there’s only one or two quotes from the Bible. If you didn’t know it was a Christian book, you’d never know.

*In conjunction with the CSFF Blog Tour, I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.

Book link -
Author’s web site
Author’s blog

Make sure you check out all the other reviews of The Wolf of Tebron.

Noah Arsenault
Amy Bissell
Red Bissell
Justin Boyer
Keanan Brand
Grace Bridges
Beckie Burnham
Jeff Chapman
Christian Fiction Book Reviews
Carol Bruce Collett
Valerie Comer
CSFF Blog Tour
D. G. D. Davidson
April Erwin
Andrea Graham
Nikole Hahn
Katie Hart
Ryan Heart
Bruce Hennigan
Becky Jesse
Cris Jesse
Becca Johnson
Jason Joyner
Julie
Carol Keen
Dawn King
Shannon McDermott
Matt Mikalatos
Rebecca LuElla Miller
Joan Nienhuis
Nissa
John W. Otte
Chawna Schroeder
Tammy Shelnut
Kathleen Smith
James Somers
Rachel Starr Thomson
Robert Treskillard
Fred Warren
Phyllis Wheeler

3 comments:

  1. I think you're the first one to mention these issues with Joran. I hadn't thought of it as immature (though come to think about it, another participant in the tour said he sometimes seemed like he was 14) but as him being whiny. And it really bothered me that he would kick his wife out without asking her about what he thought he saw.

    Thanks for your post, Tammy.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't enjoy this read until I read it as "just a fairy tale". After that point and decision, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Joran's decisions really got under my skin though (such as what could have been so bad that he would have to kick Charis out of his life)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know!! I think that was the part of the story I disliked the most..the way he treated Charis. I also didn't like the part after his fever. That was the weirdest thing ever. I just didn't know what to think about that part.
    I tried hard to tell myself to just read it as a fairy tale, but I think my mind is just stubborn. :)

    ReplyDelete