Thursday, January 27, 2011

Movie Review: Anne of Avonlea

L. M. Montgomery Reading Challenge

As part of the L.M. Montgomery Reading Challenge, my second review of the Anne of Avonlea, the movie.




My Review:
It’s amazing to me how much the characters, especially Anne and Gilbert looks SOOOOO much more grown up in the two years between the 1st and 2nd movies. I definitely prefer Anne’s character a bit more mature. So, I like the movie Anne of Avonlea the best. From what I could tell when the movie came on(from the credits), this movie is based on books 2, 3, and 4 of the Anne series. From the reviews that I’ve read, I remember that Anne: The Continuing Story does NOT follow the books at all, so I really hate to hear that!! For that reason, I’m not going to rush out to watch it any time soon. I would like to read the books first and then I’ll probably watch it, just out of curiosity.

Like I mentioned in my review of Anne of Green Gables, I can’t get over the nature in the movie. I still enjoyed the crickets, or bullfrogs in the background. It seems like movies today cut out all that kind of noise. I may just not be paying attention. And I still loved the scenery! I greatly enjoyed watching the Anne movies for the first time, and they have definitely won a place in my heart!

I thought this was interesting, by the way. When I was looking for the dates of the movies on internet movie database, I saw this: Jonathan Crombie‘s (plays Gilbert Blythe in the Anne movies) mother’s name was Shirley Ann. I just thought that was neat, considering Anne Shirley was Anne‘s name. :)

My review of the book Anne of Green Gables just won’t make it in time for the challenge, so I’m going to go ahead and knock out my last two review books. Time just didn’t cooperate like I thought it would, so I just can’t get it read in time. Time rarely cooperates like we think it might, I guess, though. :) I’m still going to read Anne of Green Gables, and I’m really looking forward to it!! Who knows. I might even decide to read them all the way through, and then start the Emily series for next year’s challenge. We’ll see what time permits.

4 comments:

  1. Yea!! I'm glad you got to watch it...though I haven't had the time.

    I also find that I don't get to read as much of Anne as I try to.

    That is so neat to hear about Shirley Ann!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I loved the scenery too. I have wanted to visit Prince Edward Island ever since I read those books, but esp. since I saw the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annette- I had to re-check it out from the library to get it all watched, but i'm glad I did. It was longer than I anticipated, though. :)

    Joy- I know. It's amazing how much more beautiful older movies are sometimes! I'm definitely a fan of PEI now, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, time doesn't always work in our favor. But you got through the movies! Interesting that you noticed the sound of nature in these movies. I think Montgomery would like to hear that!

    Didn't know that about Jonathan Crombie's mother. Definitely funny! =D

    ReplyDelete