Monday, December 20, 2010

Masquerade by Nancy Moser



Bethany House (August 1, 2010) 400 pages

Description:(from Amazon-Booklist)
When Lottie is told that she must marry an American whom she has never met in order to salvage what is left of her family’s reputation in Wiltshire, England, she sees all of her dreams of storybook love and romance crumble. Until she devises a plan. Heiress Lottie trades places with her longtime maid, Dora, and together they attempt to pull off the switch of a lifetime. How will Lottie survive the cruel streets of New York City on her own? Does Dora have what it takes to become an aristocrat? In Moser’s (How Do I Love Thee? 2009) latest inspirational tale, a princess faced with poverty and a pauper disguised as royalty undergo a test of faith and a journey to self-discovery as both women struggle to survive in two different facets of nineteenth-century America—the slums of industrialized New York and the lavish enclaves of the elite. A novel of friendship, faith, and finding out who one truly is, Masquerade slips off its mask to reveal great love and strength in unlikely places. --Elizabeth Ponder

My Review:
I really don’t know why, but I didn’t expect to like this book. I don’t recall seeing any bad reviews or anything, so I don’t know why I was under that impression. I kept holding out on reviewing this one for that reason, but I ended up really liking it. It’s definitely one of my favorite Christian fiction books that I’ve read!!

I had no idea how this story would end. I kept going back and forth. When you see a movie or book with a good guy and a bad guy, you know how it will end! When you have a story with two girls and three men, and all of them wonderful, kind people, it gets much harder to figure out what will happen. And there was one character that I disliked at the beginning. It brought tears to my eyes at how kind and forgiving she really was at the end.

I could so see Masquerade as a movie! I say that knowing that 90% of the time I don’t like movies made from books. Too much gets changed around! I really enjoyed getting to know Dora and Charlotte. I love how they got the chance to experience the way the other one lived. Masquerade has earned a spot on my bookshelf. And that’s a great accomplishment these days!! My house has been overflowing with books, so my husband has been very happy to see lots of them leaving. I will for sure be keeping a look-out for Nancy’s other books!

*A huge thanks to Jim Hart @ Bethany House for my review copy. This is my honest opinion.

2 comments: