Saturday, November 6, 2010

In Every Heartbeat by Kim Vogel Sawyer




Bethany House (September 1, 2010) 352 pages

Description:
As three friends who grew up in the same orphanage head off to college together, they each harbor a cherished dream. Libby wishes to become a famous journalist, Pete plans to study to become a minister, and Bennett wants to join a fraternity and have as much fun as possible. But as tensions rise around the world on the brink of World War I, the friends' differing aspirations and opinions begin to divide them, as well. And when Libby makes a shocking discovery about Pete's family, will it drive a final wedge between the friends or bond them in ways they never anticipated?

My Rating: Iris/Rose (See details at the bottom of this post).

My Review:
This was the first book I’ve ever read by Kim Vogel Sawyer, but I’ve heard great things about her books. I wasn’t disappointed at all. In ways, I really connected with Libby, especially at the beginning. I totally understood her getting along with the guys better!! Before I got married, I just didn’t connect with very many girls. Of course, I’m married now, so I'm the opposite. :) But going to college was a great disappointment to me. I spent one year in a community college and one semester at a university in Tennessee. People are so mean, and I’ve always lived a sheltered life, so it broke my heart to see how cruel some of the girls were. And I went to a Christian college!! Needless to say, I quit college, and brought my broken heart home. But reading this story brought back all those memories.
I just cheered inside when a certain person had revenge taken upon them. I know! I shouldn’t be that way. :)
I loved the romance scenes in this book!! They were so sweet! I just wish I could bottle up the “new couple” feeling and keep it forever.
The only thing I didn’t exactly agree with is a certain person accepting God into their life. It doesn’t completely and immediately transform a person. At least I’ve never witnessed that. I’ve been a Christian 17 years, and believe me, I wish it immediately transformed me into a patient person. It didn’t, though. Getting rid of those bad qualities takes tons of practice and even more prayers. It’s HARD!!!!
I also want to say that the book isn’t completely about college. The story actually took a completely different turn than I expected, and touched upon some very serious subjects. And while I was looking at some of the book recommendations in the back, I noticed that one of the characters in this book has a story of her own. Maelle’s story is in My Heart Remembers. I do plan on reading it at some point. Not reading it in no way affected In Every Heartbeat, though.

*A huge thanks to Jim Hart @ Bethany House Publishers for my review copy. This is my honest opinion.


Here's my new rating system:

Blue+ Rose- Permanent place in my library. If anything happens to my copy, I will replace it.

Rose- Loved it! A Must Read(This is the equivalent of 5-star)

Iris- Liked it. Maybe not a keeper, though.

Carnation- It was okay.

Dandelion- “Weed” this one off your reading list.

4 comments:

  1. I love your new system of reviews! Carnations always remind me of high school proms and such which I was never into...so your rating seems appropriate to me.

    You're so right. It is hard. The process isn't quick, is it? But I'm so glad we have the Holy Spirit because I know I can't change at all in myself.

    I know what you mean about "new couple" although at 10 years I'm starting to realize that there is a depth that is so much more powerful and definitely would not go back to the beginning because we have grown so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I actually never went to either of my proms. It just wasn't my "thing." :)

    Absolutely!! There's no way I could do it by myself. We were just discussing in my Ladies' class @ church how some things, like patience, are so much harder for some people. It definitely didn't come easy for me.

    It's only been 5 years for me, and you're right, my husband and I have been through a lot that has made us stronger. There's always times, though, when I would love to spray a little "new couple" mist around the room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I did go to one of my proms, but I didn't enjoy it much. Let's just say I didn't think much of myself in high school and dated someone who was quite emotionally abusive to me. So I'm so thankful for my husband!

    Oh boy, I'd be a total mess without the Holy Spirit day by day, when I don't rely on Him it quickly becomes apparent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless your heart! I'm glad you met your husband, too. Y'all seem really sweet to each other. I can tell from your posts that both of you support each other in the things you do.

    I'm the opposite. I've always had low self-esteem, so I just didn't date at all in high-school. My hubby is the only person I've ever Seriously dated, but I knew he was a good one!! :)

    Me too! I think some of my previous posts of depression prove that! :S Prayer is so important. I start drfting without keeping God with me, and I'm not a happy person then!!

    ReplyDelete