Saturday, November 13, 2010

A Few Movie Reviews

These are a few movies I've been meaning to review for awhile!!!



Letters to Juliet

Rated: PG (Parental Guidance Suggested)
Studio: Summit Entertainment
DVD Release Date: September 14, 2010
Run Time: 105 minutes


This was a very clean movie that I felt was appropriate for all ages. The only part that isn’t good is when a man holds up his middle finger. I didn’t hear any bad language, either.
While it didn’t end up being a favorite of mine, it was really sweet and definitely worth watching. It ended up being a bit different than I expected, but not in a bad way. The leading guy’s character wasn’t even close to what I expected of him. But again, very clean.





The Karate Kid

Rated: PG (Parental Guidance Suggested)
Studio: Sony Pictures
DVD Release Date: October 5, 2010
Run Time: 140 minutes

This movie is rated PG, but I would be careful with children watching this movie. I definitely don’t recommend it for younger viewers, but that’s just my opinion. There’s profanity throughout the movie. I think the main word used was the “a” word. There’s also fighting/bullying scenes that might be disturbing to younger viewers. I also feel this is the type of movie that children will try to imitate the fighting scenes.
As an adult, I didn’t really care for this version, either. I really wish they had used an older person for the leading boy(Jaden). He did a great job, but I felt a little weird watching a 12 year old boy workout and develop a 6-pack. I felt at times they kept the movie for an older character and at times did great with the new, younger age. There’s also a very serious scene about a wreck. I’m actually surprised this wasn’t PG-13.






How to Train Your Dragon

Rated: PG (Parental Guidance Suggested)
Studio: DreamWorks
DVD Release Date: October 15, 2010
Run Time: 98 minutes

I LOVED this movie! I think it took over my #1 spot for favorite cartoon movie. I ended up watching this movie twice when I rented it. It really kept my little boy’s attention, and we were up late the night I rented it, so I put it in again. I’m so glad I did because somehow I missed the most important part of the ending. It was just so sweet. This movie is on the top of my list of movies to be added to my collection.
I didn’t hear or see anything that could be inappropriate. It is about Vikings, so there’s some “war” tools around, but I don’t think they were used in a way that would be scary or anything. I think I saw it was rated PG, because of language, but I didn’t hear any. Obviously, I highly recommend this movie!!
As a side note, when I was looking up the release date and all, I read a few reviews. I haven’t read the books, and didn’t even know it was based off a book until I read some reviews. I usually hate movies based on books. So, if you’ve read the books, you probably won’t like this movie. I haven’t, so I just adored it!!





The Polar Express

Rated: G (General Audience)
Studio: Warner Home Video
DVD Release Date: December 26, 2005
Run Time: 100 minutes

I added this one in, because it’s what me and my little boy are watching right now. It has did a great job of keeping his attention! He’s not feeling well after his vaccinations and flu shot(Well, flu mist, which I DO NOT recommend!!) He’s been sick and very needy this morning, so it’s great that it has kept him happy! :) When I used to babysit my nephews, they loved this movie, too. It’s one of my favorites. I really like the music throughout, and my absolute favorite scene is the “hot chocolate” song and dance!! I guess I was a bit in the Christmas mood, and the movie I want to watch won’t come out until Tuesday(Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey). I’ve been a bit surprised at how early Christmas decorations have went up this year. As soon as November 1st arrived, Christmas decoration pictures have popped up all over facebook. No offense to those of you who already have yours up!! We’re all different. My hubby won’t let me put mine up until the day after Thanksgiving. With a very curious 2 year old, decorations will be a bit different this year, but I’m still looking forward to it. (Not to mention, only 11 more days until we find out pink or blue). Yah!! :)

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on these movies! :)

    I confess I haven't really had the desire to see the new version of The Karate Kid. I liked the old one, and I agree that it seems strange to have someone so young as the hero.

    I've heard such great things about How to Train Your Dragon! One of my friends really loved it, so maybe when we're both home for Christmas break we'll have to watch it together. :) (On top of going to the theater to watch the third Chronicles of Narnia movie, of course!!!)

    And I just LOVE The Polar Express!!! I cannot wait to go home and watch it with my family. :) It has become one of my favorite Christmas movies!

    ~Amber

    P.S. How exciting that you're going to find out whether your baby is a boy or a girl soon! :D Can't wait to hear more on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to see Letters to Juliet for a while now, glad to hear you enjoyed it. I've been reluctant to watch the new Karate Kid movie b/c I'm faithful to my beloved Ralph Macchio...had a crush on him throughout my teen years. LOL.

    Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber-
    You'll definitely have to watch How to Train Your Dragon while you're home!! And, I'm ashamed to admit, I didn't even know the 3rd Chronicles movie was even coming out yet! I really liked the first two.

    Joy-
    I remember really liking the first Karate Kid, but it's been awhile, but I do know I liked it much better than the newer one. Before the show Ugly Betty went off the air, I saw a few episodes with Ralph in them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard that Letters to Juliet was sweet and since you liked it I'll probably have to make sure I see it now! I haven't seen Dragon or Karate Kid but I LOVED THe Polar Express! I love the song Believe that Josh Groban sang for the film!!!

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well now I have to re-watch Polar Express because I can't "hear" the song by Josh Groban! :) I love to hear him sing!! (But I don't hear enough of him to recognize whenever that's him, I guess). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Polar Express and can't wait to try Letters to Juliet :)

    BTW, Thanks for visiting my blog today :)

    ReplyDelete