Monday, October 18, 2010

The Waiting by Suzanne Fisher Woods




Revell (October 1, 2010) 311 pages

Description:
Jorie King has been waiting for Benjamin Zook to return home to Lancaster County so they can marry. When news arrives that Ben has been killed, Jorie finds comfort in the friendship of his brother Caleb. That friendship ripens into love, and it seems that they are meant to be together. But when the unexpected happens, their worlds are turned upside down once more. Will Jorie trust God to lead her into the arms of a new man? A multifaceted story about complex people living the simple life, The Waiting is the second book in the LANCASTER COUNTY SECRETS series. Readers will find themselves transported into the world of the Amish and deeply invested in these wonderful characters.

*I want to point out that I don't like this desciption at all! Because of it, I was a bit confused at the beginning, and even reread a some of the story. I did quickly catch on as to what was going on, but it still gives away part of the story, and I think it would have been more powerful to discover everything as you read. But this is the description on the back of the book.

My Review:
This is the book that officially broke my reading “dry spell.” I read it in less than 2 days!! Yah! That’s almost a miracle for me lately. That shows just how much I enjoyed this book. I couldn’t wait to see what happened. When I started the story, I mostly knew what would happen. I’ve read enough that I can pick up what will most likely happen in a story. Don’t get me wrong, I love predictable stories. I usually get through those the fastest, just to see HOW it happens. But, the closer to the end of this book, the more I truly didn’t know what would happen! So the author did a great job!!

I loved Epraim’s character!! I didn’t become a vegetarian until I was 16, but I struggled with those same feeling he did about animals. I live in the South, so while I never actually witnessed an animal being killed for food, I heard plenty of stories, and it made me sick. Everyone eventually learned to keep that stuff quiet around me.:) I’m SOOOOOO grateful my hubby has never enjoyed hunting! So, Ephraim was definitely my favorite character, and I’m thankful he has such a big part in the story.

The “letter” scene broke my heart. The older I get, the more I cry!! I think the wives out there can relate to the sadness of the scene. That’s something we just don’t want to have to think about.

When I first finished this book, I wasn’t sure how I felt about it. I liked the ending, but at the same time, I almost wished the events leading up to the ending were a bit different. I don’t think I’m giving away anything, but if you’re worried, look away from the next sentence. It’s almost like, since person X is definitely out of the way, then I can be with person Y. I wish that decision was made a little earlier. And then there was a goodbye scene about 3/4th of the way through. I didn’t get why that was there. It confused me a bit. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized as far as one of the characters, there wasn’t much else that could have happened to keep the story realistic, so I guess ultimately, I’m happy with everything. I definitely recommend this The Waiting! I don’t think you will be disappointed with it!!

*I received this book as part of the Litfuse Publicity Tour. This is my honest opinion.

8 comments:

  1. I loved this book! Last year I kinda laid off of the Amish fiction but there are sooo many terrific new writers in the genre so it's not the same old, same old anymore!

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. book sounds good. i grew up in Penn where ther are Amish. their life style seems interesting. good review. rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is only the third Amish book I've read, but I've enjoyed them all so far.

    When i go for my baby appointments and when I had my son, we've met a few Mennonite(I think) families, and they are just the sweetest people ever!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you feeling any better yet? I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to the doctor yesterday and got some Phenergrin(spelling??) so I'm happy now!! :) Most importantly, though, I got to hear the heartbeat again. Only 5 more weeks and we find out if it's a boy or girl. (The day before Thanksgiving).
    I am feeling better. I'm just playing catch-up with everything now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rose!
    I'm a little late on popping by...I was out of town helping my daughter last week with her new baby, and am at my publisher's right now. But I had a few minutes to spare and wanted to thank you for your review of "The Waiting." Glad it ended your dry spell! "The Search" is coming in about 6-7 weeks! Just think...your baby will be born by then! Praying for a healthy, easy delivery and recovery.
    Thanks for being a part of the tour, too.
    Warmly, Suzanne Woods Fisher

    ReplyDelete
  7. I called you Rose and I should have said Tammy! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the new grandbaby!!! I know that's exciting!

    I can't wait to read The Search. I'm glad it won't be long. And thank you for stopping by. :)

    My little one hopefully won't be here until April. :) We're just having the ultrasound a little earlier than normal(I think as a precaution)the day before Thanksgiving. We really don't care if it's a boy or girl, as long as it's healthy, but I'm convinced it's a girl. :)

    ReplyDelete