Friday, October 29, 2010

The Vigilante's Bride by Yvonne Harris




Bethany House (August 1, 2010) 297 pages

Description: (from Amazon)
Emily McCarthy needs either a job or a husband. Since teaching posts for women are few and far between, Emily reluctantly accepts the mail-order-bride offer placed in the Chicago Daily Tribune by wealthy Montana rancher Bart Axel. On the way there, her stagecoach is held up. Luke Sullivan never intended to “rescue” Emily; he simply wanted the money Axel had cheated his father out of years ago. However, when Luke sees Axel’s fiancĂ©e, he knows Emily has no idea of the kind of man she is about to marry, which leaves Luke with only one option: take Emily with him.

My Review:
4 stars-I'm trying to come up with a more creative rating system, because I haven't even been using one, but for now I'll just use stars. :)

I would have liked to have seen more from Emily’s point of view, or about her, I guess. Most of the story seems focused on Bart and Luke’s fight. (I actually think guys would enjoy most of this story). I still recommend this book. There just seemed to not be as much romance as I would have liked.
I love stories with Native Americans involved. I have Cherokee in my blood, so I always really enjoy reading about Native Americans, to an extent. There’s a lot of involvement from the Crow in the story. I didn’t really care for the scalping scenes and all that. I find all that gross. I guess that’s why I typically don’t watch movies, except cartoons, involving Native Americans.
I also love stories with orphanages in them, and this story has one of those, too. I would have loved to have saw more focus on it, too.
This book had so many parts that could have easily made it a favorite of mine, but I think the lack of romance kind of kept it from its full potential for me, but I still really enjoyed it and recommend it. And, I do want to point out there is romance, it just doesn’t seem to be the main focus.
Also, this isn’t the typical, I know everything that’s going to happen, type of book. (Parts of it, but not most of it).

*Thanks to Jim Hart @ Bethany House Publishers for my review copy. I was not required to give a positive review.

2 comments:

  1. I have this book but I've been putting it off because of the less than stellar reviews. It sounds interesting though and if I want to read something other than a romance I'll pick it up! Thank you for sharing your thoughts! :-)

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to write about the cattle scenes. There's some roping and branding scenes that I didn't care for. Of course, those probably wouldn't bother most people. I've never read a guy's western book, but this story totally has that feel to it.
    Just a head's up. :)

    ReplyDelete