Friday, August 13, 2010

Still House Pond by Jan Watson




Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. (July 19, 2010)400 pages

Desription:(from Amazon)
Lilly Gray Corbett loves living on Troublesome Creek, but she would much rather play with her best friend than watch her little brother and the twins. Her mama, Copper, is often gone helping to birth babies, and Lilly has to stay home. When Aunt Alice sends a note inviting her to visit in the city, Lilly is excited to go, and Copper reluctantly agrees to let her. Later, when they hear the news that the train crashed, Copper and her husband, John, rush to find out if their daughter is injured . . . or even alive.

My Review:
I really liked reading Still House Pond. The only problem I had was that there were so many characters introduced at the beginning that I had a hard time keeping them all straight. As I finished the book, there was a couple I still don’t have lined up. I kept going back re-reading trying to remember who a character was. I haven’t read Jan’s other books, and I really think that would have helped. Even though I haven’t read them, I do recommend you read them in order to learn about the characters a little more slowly, as opposed to all at once.
Christy by Katherine Marshall is one of my favorite books and Still House Pond somewhat reminded me of that book. Life during that time was so hard. I can’t imagine the work they had to endure just to survive. Some days I feel I work hard, but I’ve never , a day of my life, had to endure what they did. This book really helped me put things in perspective. I loved how the children played. And even how the adults played with them. At one point the children cut “dolls” out of old magazines. How clever!
I’m looking forward to seeing what else happens in the next book, and I do plan on finding out more details of what has happened in the first book of this series, Sweetwater Run . The series before this one (Troublesome Creek Series) has the same characters, too, as far as I could tell.

*Thanks to Tyndale House Publishers for my review copy. This is my honest opinion.

3 comments:

  1. I have a friend who has read everything by Jan Watson up to this newest series, and she tells me that every single book is incredible. She also proceeds to ask me why I haven't read her yet! :o) Well, one day (along with all the other great authors out there). I love the cover of this book, and have on my wish list already...thanks for a great review to whet my appetite even more! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sad that I had never heard of these books! i'm going to try to get my hands on all the other ones and then re-read this one. I think I'll get a whole lot more out of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oohhh...if you compared it to Christy it sounds fantastic! I want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete