Thursday, August 26, 2010

Radiant Darkness by Emily Whitman




Greenwillow Books (April 28, 2009) 288 pages

Description: (from Book-A-Million)
He smiles. "Hello."

It's a deep voice. I can feel it reverberate in my chest and echo all the way down to my toes.

I know I should leave, but I don't want to. I want to keep my senses like this forever. I'm all eye, all ear, all skin.

Persephone lives in the most gorgeous place in the world. But her mother's a goddess, as overprotective as she is powerful. Paradise has become a trap. Just when Persephone feels there's no chance of escaping the life that's been planned for her, a mysterious stranger arrives. A stranger who promises something more--something dangerous and exciting--something that spurs Persephone to make a daring choice. A choice that could destroy all she's come to love, even the earth itself.

In a land where a singing river can make you forget your very name, Persephone is forced to discover who--and what--she really is.


My Review:
I felt a little odd reading this book. I've always been intrigued by mythology, but I really don't know much about it. I don't think I had ever heard the original story of Persephone, so this book was new to me. It wasn't really my cup of tea, but if you like mythology and all, you'll probably enjoy this book.

Parental Concerns:
I saw this book on a "clean book" list at another site, so I was a little surprised that is had the "d" word over and over. I also wouldn't really recommend it for young readers. There's a scene that talks about throwing baby pigs into a snake pit as sacrifices. There's not any sexual scenes, but they are implied very slightly. Overall, it was pretty tame compared to most young adult books, but I still wouldn't consider it clean.

5 comments:

  1. I like when review sites share criteria (language, violence, sexuality...), but I can't imagine someone calling that clean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. It made me realize how opinions of "clean" are vastly different. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover, I'm not sure if the story would be that interesting to me though, like you I'm not that familiar with Persephone.

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll admit the pretty cover and the fact that it was on a clean list was why I read it. i know, I'm sad. Sometimes I jump into a book without knowing much about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your review. not certain if i would pick up this book to read.

    ReplyDelete