Sunday, August 22, 2010

Plain Jayne by Hillary Manton Lodge



Harvest House Publishers (January 1, 2010) 300 pages

Description:(from Christianbook)
Jayne Tate loves her life as it is-living in a big city, working as a reporter for a fast-paced newspaper, and dating a guy who knows nothing about her past. When her father passes away though, she's forced to take another look at what she wants out of life. After losing out on the big career opportunity she was hoping, for she decides to escape to Oregon Amish country, seeking solace and maybe a big story.
Even in this land of buggies and bonnets, Jayne finds life more complicated than she expected. Can she persuade herself that her growing friendship with the mysterious and handsome Levi Burkholder is just about research? And what's a latte-drinking, laptop-using, motorcycle-riding reporter to do when this new life starts to change her?

My Review:
Many times Amish stories paint them to be perfect. While I love parts of the Amish lifestyle, like working together and the simplicity, there are many things that I don’t agree with. Plain Jayne gives you the good, along with the bad. I love that Hilary gave both sides.
I do want to point out that this isn’t really an Amish story. While they do play a big part in the story, for the most part scenes don’t even take place at the community. (Some do, though). So for those of you bored with that type of book, this might be a bit different. I've still only read the one Amish book, so I'm not overly qualified to decide. :)
I can’t wait to read Simply Sara, which will be coming out September 1st. It will be from Sara’s perspective. Plain Jayne was from her perspective. If you like your endings to be a surprise, don’t read the description of Simply Sara before you’ve read this one. It will giveaway the ending. Although, part of it shouldn’t come as a surprise!
From my understanding, this was Hilary’s debut book, so I’m very impressed, and can’t wait to see what else she writes!

4 comments:

  1. Awww this looks so good! I hope I can get this soon on PBS! I'm first in line I think, LOL!

    Thank you for the great review!

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got mine on swaptree. It looked horrible, but it was still readable, so I was excited. I guess those distressed books need more love, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was one of the better "Amish" stories that I've read in a long time. I liked that it had a good mix of the Amish and English worlds, and that the English world really isn't all that bad...well, most of it anyway! :o)

    ReplyDelete