Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Love, Charleston by Beth Webb Hart




Thomas Nelson (August 31, 2010) 320 pages

Description: (from Amazon)
Charleston's past is full of romance. Does Anne's future hold the same?

Charleston's Anne Brumley has long dreamed of love while rining the bells at St. Michael's, but those dreams are beginning to fade. Her sister Alisha and cousin Della encourage the thirty-six year old to move somewhere new for a fresh start.

Widower Roy Summerall has happily ministered to the country folks of Church of the Good Shepherd for years. So why would the Lord call him and his daughter away to Charleston--the city that Roy remembers from his childhood as pretentious and superficial? Surely the refined congregation of St. Michael's won't accept a reverend with a red neck and a simple faith.

Meanwhile, Anne's sister, Alisha, struggles with her husband's ambition, which seems to be taking him further from their dreams of a happy family. And Cousin Della's former fiance has returned to Charleston, making her wonder if she chose the wrong path when she married her gifted but unemployed-artist husband.

Family, friendship, and faith converge in a beautiful story about how God's transforming love works in the Holy City of Charleston.

My Review:
This book ended up being SO much more than I anticipated! It deals with real issues.
Love, Charleston is written in third person perspective, but the chapters alternate between Roy, Della, Lish, and Anne.
For me, Lish’s story stands out so much more than the others. She’s a mom to 3 and suffers from severe depression. I don’t think I’ve ever read a fiction book about depression, but it’s such an important issue. I’m so glad Beth included this in her story! I think it proves how so many husbands are in denial or don’t understand the symptoms. I just wanted to smack Lish’s husband upside the head! I’ve always said that when these women are on the news for doing something to themselves, their children or husband, that I guarantee you they begged for help, but maybe the signs weren’t understood or taken seriously. I would even suggest this book for husbands as far as Lish’s story. Being a mom is SO HARD!!! I sometimes don’t think husbands fully grasp that. (I know there’s some wonderful husbands out there. I’m not husband bashing here. I’m very grateful for all my husband does for our family). :) It’s just such an important issue! I think that all moms suffer from depression in varying degrees.
It also really stresses the importance of friends and family. Everyone, especially moms need to be surrounded by a loving network.
This book also goes on to deal with the effects of the recession, adultery, and also includes a sweet romance. It took me a few chapters to get into it, but I really enjoyed this book! I do think that the older readers will enjoy this book more than the younger ones, but I still recommend it! :)

*A huge thanks to Thomas Nelson Publishers for my review copy. This is my honest opinion.

Have you enjoying reading any of Beth's work or just want to leave her an encouraging comment? I'm sure she would enjoy hearing from you! :)

Beth's e-mail address: bwh@bethwebbhart.com

Beth's website: http://bethwebbhart.com/

Beth's facebook page

6 comments:

  1. Great review, Bluerose! :) I'm planning on reading this one sometime soon (hopefully!). Sounds pretty powerful!

    ~Amber

    P.S. Thank you ever so much for posting about my giveaway in the sidebar! And Ruth wanted me to ask you to contact me when you get Made to Order Family--just so she knows you got it. ;) Hope to hear from you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome about the giveaway, and I'll definitely let you know when I get Ruth's book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bluerose, Wow, I didn't think I was interested in reading this book but now I am. Being honest about my struggles with depression helped me to realize how many people share the same struggle. I'm always on the lookout for books that deal with these issues, not just for me, but sometimes I think its our areas of weakness where we can minister to others the most effectively. (And sometimes where we least want to).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was expecting this book to just be a light, fluffy read, but it wasn't.
    I completely agree about ministering to others! I suffer from depression, but extemely slight compared to the woman in this book. I've never been through it to the degree some women suffer and I do have more respect for the moms(or anyone) who goes through it.
    After reading the book, I looked at some of the reviews and it seems like people, like me, thought the book was about Anne and Roy. That seemed to upset a lot of people but I guess I was plesantly surprised that it ended up completely different than what I thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely want to read it now. Great review, Bluerose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope to get time to read this soon. Great review!!

    I have gotten way behind on everyones blogs, shame on me. I am attempting to get caught up, which is quite a task I might add.

    Make sure you zoom over and check out all the new changes to my blog. I have tons of new giveaways too, new one posted all the time!!
    Stay Fabulous
    Chara
    www.nothingbutfabulousity.com

    ReplyDelete