Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Highland Blessings by Jennifer Hudson Taylor




Abingdon Press (May 1, 2010) 352 pages

Description:(from Amazon)
Highland Blessings is the story of a highland warrior who kidnaps the daughter of his greatest enemy and clan chief to honor a promise he made to his dying father. Bryce MacPhearson, a highland warrior, kidnaps Akira MacKenzie on her wedding day to honor a promise he made to his dying father. While Akira s strength in the Lord becomes a witness to Bryce, she struggles to overcome her anger and resentment when he forces her to wed him, hoping to end a half-century-old feud between their clans. While Akira begins to forgive, and Bryce learns to trust, a series of murders leaves a trail of unanswered questions, confusion, and a legacy of hate that once again rises between their families. Clearly, a traitor is in their midst. Now the one man Akira loves no longer trusts her, and her own life is in danger. Can Bryce look beyond his pain and seek the truth? Will Akira discover the threat against her before it s too late? How will God turn a simple promise into bountiful Highland blessings?

My Review:
I was a little distracted by the language at first. I kept re-reading the lines trying to truly “hear” them with an accent. I quickly got used to it, though, and enjoyed learning not only the language, but the customs and traditions of the time.
I was surprised by the “who did it?” mystery that developed toward the end. I enjoyed it, though. Who doesn’t love a good guessing game?! If I had read the description above, I wouldn’t have been surprised. I don’t always read the long description of a book before I decide to read it. It’s fun sometimes to not know so much before reading.
My heart went out to Akira who was torn between the two clans, and they all struggle with loyalty/betrayal. I found it interesting to watch all the relationships grow in different ways.
Highland Blessings has Christianity, romance, action, and mystery. I really enjoyed it!

*This was an e-book from Amazon.

4 comments:

  1. Sweet review, Tammy! The book sounds really great. I'll make sure I put it on my wishlist.
    Love Ya,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a good book. rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking the time to read Highland Blessings and write a review! Highland Sanctuary will be out Oct. 2011.

    ReplyDelete