Monday, August 9, 2010

100 Prayers God Loves To Hear: 100 Praise Song by Stephen Elkins



Thomas Nelson (August 17, 2010)208 pages

Description:
In 100 Prayers, 100 Praise Songs, best-selling author Stephen Elkins brings an exciting and educational way for children to learn about prayer by teaching them 100 prayers to pray to God and providing 100 songs to sing Him praises.

God loves to hear from His children and this book will help kids feel comfortable talking to God and singing praise to Him. Prayers include classic prayers such as “Now I Lay Me;” Biblical prayers such as “The Lord’s Prayer;” topical prayers such as how to pray when I am afraid or what to pray when I am thankful; and prayers from famous believers. Familiar Bible verses tell of God’s promises and encourage little ones to talk to Him every day. This is a great resource to help kids memorize 100 Bible verses. Includes two CDs with 100 new praise songs written and recorded by Grammy-nominated producer, Stephen Elkins.

My Review:
This book is precious. It would be perfect for a child’s gift! While the little prayer reminders in the book are for kid’s, they are great for the parents, too! For example, one of the reminders says the following: Don’t pray when you feel like it. Have an appointment and keep it. –Corrie Ten Boom
We can all apply this to our lives. While I think that prayers should be from the heart, and not memorized, the prayers in this book will give your child some great examples. I even use the prayers in devotional books to give me new ideas for a prayer need. I now pray about important things that I wouldn’t have thought about originally. The pictures are adorable, too. There are so many great lessons to be learned with this book!
The CD’s are also very cute. The songs cover a variety of ages. Some seem to be for very young children, and some seem to be for slightly older kids. This is perfect if you have multiple children! I know for most of you this won’t be an issue, but I thought I would mention it, just in case music is important to you or if it’s an issue. There is music with the songs. I prefer a cappella, not only for religious reasons, but because I think a child singing is angelic, and for me, music takes away from that. The songs are still cute, though.

*Thanks to Thomas Nelson Publishers for my review copy. This is my honest opinion.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great one for my 2 & 5 year olds. Are the songs straight Bible verses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. They weren't Bible verses. A couple of examples of songs are classics like "This Little Light of Mine"(I think I heard that one) and one I had never heard like "Peer Pressure". There was a wide variety. Some of them were kid's singing, some were adults.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun collection for toddlers.

    ReplyDelete