Thursday, July 1, 2010

My Review: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater



Scholastic Press(August 1, 2009) 400 pages

Description: (from Borders.com)
For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf - her wolf - is a haunting presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human -- until the cold makes him shift back again. Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears and the temperature drops, Sam must fight to stay human or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

My Review:
I don’t think I’ve compared a book to Twilight before, because people seem to hate that, but…
I loved Twilight, but unlike most people, I’ve always been “Team Jacob. ” I couldn’t help but think at the beginning this seems like a story for those “Team Jacob” fans. That being said, this book was absolutely nothing like Twilight. It was it’s own unique story. The first two-thirds of the book, I kept thinking this was a 4-star book for me, but the last third turned it into a 5-star. I’m so happy after reading so many 2 and 3 star books that I’ve read several this past month that have been 4 and 5 star books.
Shiver is one of those books that have a sad atmosphere to it. There were times where I had the overwhelming urge to cry, and there wasn’t even a scene that would have caused that. It was just overall sad. It’s funny to me that so many of the young adult books I read are great for parents, because it teaches us how not to be parents. Sam’s parents tried to kill him, and Grace’s parents act like they’re still in college without a child. Both of which add to the sad factor.
I felt it would have been more romantic if the Sam could remember more as a wolf. He doesn’t even know Grace’s name while a wolf. (Which makes me wonder how he even knows it’s her when they do meet). ???
I liked how with a couple of the characters, you have to decide back and forth whether they’re good or not.
I can’t wait to see what happens in Linger! There’s so much left open.

Parental Concerns: There are several mild words of profanity used, and Grace and Sam sleep together once. There’s no details, but it’s there. There’s a scene where dogs fight and get killed. I’d say this book would be PG, with maybe the exception of the dogs. It’s not terribly violent, though.


As a side note: On my last review, I mentioned humans having to get shots for rabies from touching bats. Shiver also addresses someone getting a rabies shot and it was a simple shot given in the arm. When I was younger, I heard the horror story of a family (they went to my church at the time) touching a bat at the park and having to get shots. I was told they were so painful that they had to be held down and it was given in their hip. Well, I decided to do some research, and sure enough, now it’s simply a series of 3 shots in the arm with a regular sized needle. I’ve let that story worry me for years(that was probably 15 years ago). Now I can let it go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment