Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My Review: Linger by Maggie Stiefvater



Scholastic(21 July 2010) 432 pages

Description: (from Amazon)
In SHIVER, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in LINGER, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping dangerous secrets. For Sam, it means grappling with his werewolf past ... and figuring out a way to survive the future. But just when they manage to find happiness, Grace finds herself changing in ways she could never have expected...

My Review:
The ending was the only thing I liked about this book, although, let me warn you it’s another cliff hanger. The third and final book from what I’ve read will be released in 2011.
I was actually disgusted by most of this book and wanted to quit reading it. From a parental viewpoint, this is not a book I will ever let my son or future children read. I don’t like the parents in this book, but Grace is still extremely disrespectful of them. They haven’t been there for her and for a huge part left her to take care of herself. Therefore, she gets extremely mad at them and runs away when they ground her for catching Sam spending the night in her bed. Shame on them!! There’s actually disrespect for all adults. On more than one occasion the adults are called bad names. The author does write them to be unlikable, though.
Shiver alternated between Grace and Sam narrating. Linger alternates between Grace, Sam, Isabel, and Cole(a new character). With Cole comes worse language, including gd. There’s talk of sex, but no details. There’s also use of drugs. I really thought there would be more about Olivia and Shelby, but they’re barely mentioned.
I’m an animal activist. I can’t read about an animal in pain. There’s one really gross scene involving a deer. I wanted to cry!! I will admit I’m very curious what will happen in Forever(I think this is the last book’s name), but I was very disappointed in this book! Shiver wasn’t so bad. I even have it on my on the fence list, but Linger went in the wrong direction.
If you’re not concerned with my parental concerns and you liked Shiver, you will probably really like this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment