Thursday, July 8, 2010

My Review: Amazing Adventures, Creative Connections, and Daring Deeds by Tim and Alison Simpson




NavPress(June 15, 2010)192 pages

Description: (from Amazon)
Say good-bye to passive family devotions! The energy and creativity of these 40 activities, which can be adapted to all ages, is a great resource for individual families or for churches with family and intergenerational ministries.

Instead of reading a verse that is soon forgotten, you and your kids will engage in activities both inside and outside the home that demonstrate biblical faith in action. The result? Seeing how you can live as disciples whatever your sphere of influence.

Each of the 40 activities includes a creative introduction, a brief exploration of a Bible passage, and active ideas for applying biblical truth

This great discipleship and outreach tool includes age-appropriate discussion questions and activities for age four through teens.

My Review:
I’m so glad that I got to review this book, because this is definitely one that will be used in our family in the years to come!
I think it would be great to pick a certain day of the week or month(whatever is best for your family), and do a chapter on that day. It might be wise to plan ahead. I like the idea of putting all the chapter numbers in a bowl and drawing one out for the next week or month’s activity. That way any planning and preparations can be made. With planning, the challenges can be done very economically.
Each chapter (there are 40) consists of the following:
A Bible verse and an opening statement
Reaching In- an activity with some questions to ask afterward
Reaching Into the Word- a Bible passage and a statement about that passage and 2-3 questions each for different age groups(ages4-7, 8-10, 11-13, 14 and up)
Reaching Into the World- a challenge out in the world
Some of these truly are a challenge. Do you think you could box up all the non-perishable food in your house to give to the needy? The point is to trust in God to provide for your family, help the needy, and teach selflessness.
I really liked the challenge of purchasing Bibles for anyone who may need one. (They don’t have to be new). The Simpson’s suggest maybe there’s a child who attends church who doesn’t have a Bible. They also suggest downloading free audio Bibles on the internet to distribute to those who have bad eyesight. I think this is a great idea! And there’s so many more great ideas throughout this book.
I really think the activities in this book will bring a family closer together and to God. And in the process, you’ll be helping so many people.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from NavPress Publishers as part of their Blogger Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

2 comments:

  1. Stopping by to let you know I have moved to a new domain. You can see me at www.nothingbutfabulousity.com
    I have numerous giveaways, polls, and contests. Here is the sad part, with my move it appears I have lost all my comments. So if you have entered into anything I actually need you to zoom back and re-comment. If you havent entered into any of them, what are you waiting for? Get your butt over there!! HA!
    Site is under construction so please be patient.
    Stay Fabulous
    Chara
    www.nothingbutfabulousity.com

    ReplyDelete