Monday, July 26, 2010

Angel Song by Sheila Walsh and Kathryn Cushman




Thomas Nelson (August 10, 2010) 352 pages

Description:(Thomas Nelson Publishers)
When Annie Fletcher returns to Charleston to see her younger sister, Sarah, receive her master’s degree, she finds herself riding in the back of an ambulance, watching helplessly as Sarah fights for life. During the ride, Sarah appears to talk to someone who is not there, humming a melody Annie has never heard before.

Neighbor Ethan McKinney lends a shoulder when Sarah unexpectedly dies. And as a carpenter, Ethan volunteers to help Annie get the Fletcher family home into shape for selling. Ethan’s presence is distracting, but what troubles Annie is her neighbor Tammy’s 12-year-old son. Keith has Down Syndrome and the guile to believe he can see and hear angels.

God begins to reveal Himself to Annie – both in her newfound friends and through heart-rending and clearly supernatural events. Annie discovers faith in God, finally experiencing the comfort that His angels really do surround us.

My Review:
You will definitely want to keep some tissues handy with this book! It's one of those with an overall sadness to it. Other than that, I really enjoyed reading Angel Song.
I was expecting more "supernatural" events from what I read in the description. That's a very minor part of the book. You're mostly left with the decision of what you want to believe about the book and the characters. I couldn't help but think that the angels of this story are just as mysterious as the ones in the Bible. God didn't give us a whole lot of information about angels. I like to think He wants to save them as a surprise when we get to Heaven. :)
This is also one of those books that you know what's going to happen. There really aren't any surprises and yet I was really drawn into the story and couldn't wait to see exactly how things came together.
I grew to love most of the characters. You can't help but love Keith! It really brought to my mind the verses about having faith like a child. This book will really make you think about angels and people in general. After reading this book, I plan on re-reading the Bible story of Hagar, because it is mentioned several times throughout the book.
I'm so glad that I got to read this book, and I highly recommend it.

*This review copy for provided to me from Thomas Nelson Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion.

4 comments:

  1. Nice review! :) I'm supposed to be getting this one to review soon, too, so I'm glad to hear you liked it. ;) It's too bad that there aren't more surprises, but it's great that you still felt drawn into the story!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a good bok to read .your review was informative, and giving honest words re some content.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...this one really sounds good. I've heard a lot about Kathryn Cushman lately...didn't know Sheila Walsh was writing fiction :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come see a beautiful new website related to "Angel Song":

    http://angelsong.sheilawalsh.com

    There is more information about the novel as well as readers' stories and art, inspired by their encounters with God's angels.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete