Saturday, May 27, 2017

A Few Recent Reads....


The Apprentice Witch by James Nicol

This is a sweet book. I enjoyed it, and think that most younger readers that enjoy fantasy will, too. It's an excellent book for those that want just a touch of darkness, but still need things on the lighter/brighter side.

For me, though, this is one of those book that I can't think too hard about. Why is such a young person being sent out on their own? That was the biggest issue my mind had. Too, with the beginning and end(as far as testing goes), it left a bit of pondering as to the middle. It's not a deep read, but as a quick, rainy day read, it's quite satisfying(at least for me).

Overall, it's a nice, enjoyable story.

*I got an ARC through Amazon Vine.




The Waking Land by Callie Bates

This book is compared to Uprooted, but I'd put it closer to The Legacy Trilogy by Cayla Kluver(which I had mixed feelings about, in general). I wouldn't actually compare it to Uprooted at all. The Waking Land is *not* a fast paced story. When I first started it, I was in love with it. It was just as beautiful as the cover. I found the nature references appealing, and I was intrigued. That didn't last long, though. I don't know what happened, but by the end, I was forcing myself through it. If not for review, I don't think I'd have finished it, nor do I plan to read any future books at this point. It gets really slow by the end, and I didn't even care what happened by then. (I don't even mind slower books, in general, but this one didn't work for me.) Too, just like in the Legacy Trilogy, the main character annoyed me more than not.

This book wasn't for me, but it does have enough going for it that it might be the perfect read for you. If you don't mind investing time in a slower moving read and the content doesn't bother you, go ahead and give it a try.

Content:

There's a sex scene(which I found confusing...the scene, not the fact that it was there...though I'd have preferred it had been left out), mild profanity, and violence. To me, it's in between YA and Adult.

*I got an ARC through Amazon Vine.




The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg

The content kept me from truly enjoying this book. The F-word is used frequently. (There's also a few sex references.) This is a short, very quick read, so it's a lot packed into such a small story. I'd did a bit of research on this author, and thought I was getting a clean read. Just because an author writes one clean book doesn't mean they all will be. That's a lesson one would think I'd have already learned.

Aside from the content, it would have been a nice choice for a rainy day. It has its sweet moments. (Arthur is the best!) It also has its annoying moments! It's not a deep read, by any means, but it does pull on the heartstrings.

If you're like me and don't care for "extra" content, pass this one up. If you don't mind the content, and want a quick and light read on the sentimental side, this might be just what you want. On a personal level, though, I don't recommend it at all.


*I got an ARC through Amazon Vine.

2 comments:

  1. Wondered if you were still blogging, glad to see you are! I have liked Elizabeth Berg in the past so sorry to hear this one had a lot of offensive material in it. I would love to know how old your "littles" are now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working on getting back into it. :)

    They are 4, 6, and 8! It's hard to believe. How old are yours now?

    ReplyDelete