Friday, March 3, 2017

Would You Like to Know Collection by Tim Dowley, with Illustrations by Eira Reeves




My Thoughts:


This is a cute little set of books. It looks like something that would be used with preschool aged children that aren't used to being taught the Bible or aren't used to going to worship services. It might be great for little ones just being introduced to God's Word. While I don't have experience in the realm of foster care, I can't help but think that these would be perfect in the situations where a child is in a new Christian environment.

At the end of one of the books, the child is told to ask their family if they can go to Sunday School. I wouldn't dare give something like this to a child without their parent's approval, so I'm not completely sure what the author had in mind here. It doesn't seem likely that these books would be randomly picked up by the target age very often, and most of them wouldn't be able to read it themselves. I can see adults stepping into dangerous territory with these.

Within this set are these books:

Would You Like to Know the Bible?
Would You Like to Know the Story of Christmas?
Would You Like to Know How to Pray?
Would You Like to Know About God?
Would You Like to Know the Story of Easter?
Would You Like to Know Jesus?

If you know me at all, you'll probably already know that I would change a word/sentence here and there, or leave them off completely. The first time I looked at Would You Like to Know Jesus, I got the impression that it had a "Prayer of Salvation" in it. Since this is nowhere in the Bible, I don't tolerate the teaching of it, especially not to preschool aged children. After a bit of time had passed and I read it again, I didn't see it that way quite as much. It seemed mostly to be a simple moment of prayer for a child. Of course, you'd want to read it for yourself and make your own decision there!

Overall, I wouldn't overly recommend these to children that have been taught the Bible well. It is a good set full of basics for those that are new to the Bible, and most of them would even be nice for Bible classes, especially when visitors came.

*I was given a free copy of this collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment