Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Uninvited: Living Loved When You Feel Less Than, Left Out, and Lonely By Lysa TerKeurst


Description:

The enemy wants us to feel rejected . . . left out, lonely, and less than. When we allow him to speak lies through our rejection, he pickpockets our purpose. Cripples our courage. Dismantles our dreams. And blinds us to the beauty of Christ’s powerful love.

In Uninvited, Lysa shares her own deeply personal experiences with rejection—from the incredibly painful childhood abandonment by her father to the perceived judgment of the perfectly toned woman one elliptical over.

With biblical depth, gut-honest vulnerability, and refreshing wit, Lysa helps readers: • Release the desire to fall apart or control the actions of others by embracing God-honoring ways to process their hurt. • Know exactly what to pray for the next ten days to steady their soul and restore their confidence. • Overcome the two core fears that feed our insecurities by understanding the secret of belonging. • Stop feeling left out and start believing that "set apart" does not mean "set aside." • End the cycle of perceived rejection by refusing to turn a small incident into a full blown issue.

My Thoughts:

When I first debated whether or not to read this book, I thought it might be one of those books that so many would roll their eyes at. I wondered if I'd be ashamed to be seen reading it. (Maybe, but I did read it in the privacy of my own home.) I decided to give it a try, though. I remember loving Lysa's writing style in the past, and really, if there was ever a book title that was meant for me, it'd be this one. I've made it no secret that I suffer greatly with social anxiety. At the time I decided to read this book, I was at an all time high with my suffering. I didn't want to go in public(even more so than normal). I'd force myself to anyway, sometimes in tears, because I have 3 little boys that need to be around people. I'd almost always come home in tears, full of embarrassment, with a severe headache and stomachache, and want nothing more than to curl up in a ball under my blankets and cry the pain away. I'd even had to hide in the bathroom at church a couple of times, in tears, which just made life even more humiliating. I wanted to hide from the world, simply put. (At the same time, I wanted to travel and see the world, apparently in a bubble of protection.) :P

So, that's what this book was up against, meaning it probably didn't have a fair chance to begin with. Did it help with my social anxiety? Mostly, no, to be honest, but you expected that, right? I really enjoyed the humor of the book. Lysa seems much more outgoing than me, but the stories made me feel much more normal with my feelings. We all get embarrassed and we all get uncomfortable. We all imagine that others are judging us, when maybe they aren't so much. (Though at times they are, because many people are cruel.) Reading this book reminded me that I shouldn't imagine things that aren't for sure, though. Plus, the more I'm around people, the more I realize that we're all weird in our own little ways. ;)

Despite enjoying the humor, though, I did find parts of it annoying. I just didn't connect to it like I have a couple of her past ones, and though I laughed, I also got annoyed too frequently while reading. Maybe I'm just in a different phase of life or maybe I just put too much pressure on it?

Really, the biggest thing that helped me was focusing on the fact that life isn't about me and reminding myself NOT to focus on myself. No matter what struggles I'm having, praying, focusing on God's Word, along with other people, is key to making it through my hard times. For the most part, this book has a bit more of a selfish feel to it, and focuses entirely too much on me. Sometimes that's a good thing, when it calls attention to improvements that need to be made. As far as my social anxiety, though, that's part of who I am, and always has been. I was much worse, overall, as a child. I can't change that. I need the focus to be removed from me here. (There are parts about focusing on others, just not near as much as I'd have liked.) I'm a selfish person that wants life to always be comfortable and happy, though, so that's a hard lesson to learn and apply. Plus, this post has turned into being mostly about me. *sigh*

In the end, there are great parts and not so great parts. Ultimately, I didn't connect to it quite as much as I anticipated. I do think it's a beneficial read in some ways, but maybe pair it with something that puts a much greater focus on others to create some balance.

In case you're curious, I am at a much better place now, and I pray that continues. When one escapes from a dark time, there's always fear of returning, so if you'd like to pray for me, I sure won't complain! (And, as always, I'll be more than happy to pray for you. My line is always open for your requests!)

*I was given a free copy of this book.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. I hadn't actually heard of this one before but am intrigued. I suspect I might have a lot of thoughts like yours while reading, but still think it might be beneficial.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete