Tuesday, November 1, 2016

All is Bright Coloring Book and Devotional by Nancy Guthrie


My Thoughts:

Any time I review a Christmas book focused on the birth of Jesus, I typically mention that I don't celebrate Christmas as the birth of Jesus. (Like I'm mentioning now.) I just don't agree with it. I don't mention that to be a pain. (Surprised?) ;) I do it to open those minds like mine to books like this. They don't have to be used in the targeted way. Cross out a few words to make you more comfortable, and there's much learning to be had from "Christmas" books.

This coloring book is meant to be used in the month of December. There are 31 devotionals and they each get a coloring page. If I were using this as a daily devotional, and hoping to get a page colored each day, I'd be greatly disappointed. Thankfully, with my beliefs, I can use it all year long without any problem. I color slowly, and it's a time of relaxation and fun for me. I'd feel rushed and more stressed if I hoped to get an entire page done each day.

The coloring pages are nice. They're both complicated and simple at the same time. The designs are very simple, but there's tons of little shapes within each design. You can color as intricately or as basic as you choose, though. The devotionals are also nice and simple, and I enjoyed them. There were some things said that I especially needed to hear, as my battle with social anxiety was at an all time high.

"Sometimes we wonder why we aren't happy, why we make sinful choices, why we feel distant from God. Often it's because we have small thoughts about God and magnified thoughts of ourselves, our wants, our rights, our accomplishments. Mary, the one God chose to be the mother of his Son, could have easily allowed her thoughts of herself to become larger, even prideful. But instead of magnifying herself, she magnified the Lord."

I always need to remember that life isn't about me!

In the back of the coloring book are some discussion questions to use with your family, along with some Bible verses and sample prayers. Extra coloring pages are also in the back and they're much simpler and family friendly, though still well decorated.

I've really enjoyed this coloring book, both for the devotionals and coloring pages, even though I'm a bit outside of the target audience.

*I was given a free copy of this book.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I'd get around to the coloring, but the devotions sound wonderful. I love the one you shared. Beautiful reminder. : )

    ReplyDelete