Monday, October 3, 2016

Time for Bed, Sleepyhead: The Falling Asleep Book by Dr. Daniel Amen, with illustrations by Gail Yerrill


Description:

Ten-time New York Times bestselling author and child and adolescent psychiatrist Dr. Daniel Amen teams up with artist Gail Yerrill to create a book that helps facilitate sleep. Time for Bed, Sleepyhead pairs whimsical illustrations with storytelling techniques to tire your child’s imagination in order to help them settle down at bedtime and fall asleep.

Read aloud the story of little bear and his friends as they have a big day at the beach, then return home to eat dinner, take their baths, and head to bed, falling gently to sleep alongside your little one.

My Thoughts:

My boys have been struggling with going to bed lately, meaning they keep me awake, too. That's not the best for an already exhausted, grumpy mama, like myself! When I saw this book, I decided it sure wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

Did it work miracles and put them to sleep? No. It did make me sleepy, though. ;) I already knew the answer, but I asked them if they were sleepy after finishing it. My Grasshopper answered, "No, but I can tell you are." (There are a couple of yawns written into the story.)

It is a sweet and calming story, with relaxing illustrations. It does use a hypnosis kind of method with the story. That may or may not be for your family. I imagine if you read by lamp, with the lights off, and children already in bed, it would have better results. We read bedtime stories piled on one of the beds, with the lights still on. Everyone goes to their own bed after the stories end.

In the end, this probably won't be a book that gets a great deal of rereads, but it is a relaxing book to add to the bedtime shelf.

*I was provided a review copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Chuckling. Because I'm always tired way before they are! :D

    ReplyDelete