Thursday, October 20, 2016

Life Creative: Inspiration for Today’s Renaissance Mom by Wendy Speake and Kelly Stuart


Description:

Life Creative: Inspiration for Today’s Renaissance Mom (Kregel, September 2016)

What was God thinking when He created you creative and then gave you children?

Creative moms often feel as though they must lay their passions down. But God had something special in mind for the creative woman during this intense season of mothering.

In this Pinterest age of handcrafted children’s parties, Instagram photos of beautifully decorated homes, and blogs filled with poetry and prose, it is clear that we are in the midst of a brand new artistic renaissance. Not one born in Italian cathedrals or Harlem jazz clubs, but rather in kitchens, nurseries, and living rooms around the world. Mothers, working in the cracks and crevices of each hectic day, are adorning the world with their gifts, and they’re showing all of us the beauty of this Life Creative.

In this book, you’ll learn:

—Why the world needs your art
—How this Life Creative begins at home
—When art can turn a profit
—Your part in this modern day Renaissance

Life Creative paints the stories of moms, just like you, who are fitting their inspired lives into the everyday, ordinary places of motherhood. Women like home decorator Melissa Michaels and jewelry designer Lisa Leonard, author Angie Smith, recording artist Ellie Holcomb, and many more.

My Thoughts:

I loved this book! It was exactly what I needed right now, and I just want to hug it tight. The writing is perfectly lovely, and it made me cry.

I'll admit here that after getting this book in hand, I was a bit skeptical about it. I was afraid the focus was going to be entirely too selfish. I think most children these days just want their parents to look up from their phone or projects or books(ME), and pay attention to them. The last thing parents need is advice on how to spend more time away from their little ones. In my case, I'm with my children ALL THE TIME, but sometimes my focus isn't where it should be and I get greatly discouraged with my lack of "quiet". I needed great encouragement here, and I got it with this book. There was really no cause for concern in that area at all. The authors make it abundantly clear that those little ones come first. There are years in a mama's life that she has to put aside interests and projects, to an extent, and just love on those children and focus on what is truly important. It's such a needed message these days. (Of course, at the same time, there's still encouragement to use those creative outlets when the time allows for it, because it's still important, too, and a part of us.)

Another thing I was a little concerned about is the fact that I have absolutely no talents. I won't be creating anything any time soon that could be sold or even admired. This book is targeted towards those women that do have artistic talents, whether it's writing or singing or baking or........ Really, though, I think each and every mama could benefit from this book, and all mamas have some level of creativity(as the authors tried to convince us of, too). I may not have talent, but I do still enjoy my moments of peace, drawing and writing in my nature notebook, or in my "random thoughts" one, even with my children right with me. Though I don't have a wide range of talents(or any at all), I do have a wide range of interests. I crave beauty and knowledge and could spend entirely too much time in my books. This book still spoke so much to me, so don't dismiss it simply because you think you might not be artistic enough for it. I can assure you that you are!

There are so many lovely stories and beautiful quotes and Bible verses held within the pages of this book, and it is full of encouragement. It really is a treasure!

*I hate to even mention it, but I didn't care for some of the things in the worship chapter, so I'm not promoting that part. I can't, in good conscience, let you think that I possibly did.

*I was sent a free copy of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment