Saturday, October 15, 2016

A Bird, a Girl, and a Rescue by J.A. Myhre


Description:

Eleven-year-old Kiisa had no idea why her parents would send her away to boarding school. She wondered why they couldn t all stay together in their beautiful African valley home. But no matter what she said they were firm: she must go, and she must go to this school.

As she said a tearful goodbye to her father, he whispered, For such a time as this. . . . Remember that phrase, and try to open your trunk soon. You ll find something unexpected inside. When Kiisa opened the trunk, she was astonished to find a small heap of black and white feathers that quickly unfolded into a little bird, a wagtail to be exact. Her surprise only deepened when the bird started to speak, My name is Njili. I am one of the Messengers, though a small one. I have been sent to assist you with the Rescue. Kiisa had no idea what she meant, but she would soon find out.

Join Kiisa on the adventure of a lifetime a dangerous rescue mission that includes rebels, stolen girls, illegal logging, a hungry cobra, and more messengers who help in unexpected ways. Kiisa sets out to rescue others, but finds herself rescued from fear and bitterness as she learns that bravery is nothing more (or less) than being in the right place at the right time and taking action despite her fears.

This page-turning story, the second in The Rwendigo Tales (A Chameleon, a Boy, and a Quest is the first book), is an adventure that children, young adults, and even full-grown adults will not be able to put down. A Bird, a Girl, and a Rescue creatively and convincingly explores universal themes like family, forgiveness, bullying, and courage by blending magical realism and compelling storytelling. Written by a long-time medical missionary to Africa and featuring realistic pen and ink illustrations, it draws first-world readers into another (equally real) world where young girls are captured by rebel soldiers, terrorism is a way of life, and environmental resources are exploited without a second thought. As Myhre s characters deal with these real-life issues in the news, readers of all ages will gain a deeper interest in global human concerns.
My Thoughts:

Several months ago, I read and loved A Chameleon, a Boy, and a Quest. I was greatly looking forward to A Bird, a Girl, and a Rescue, and I wasn't disappointed. I'm also excited to read the final two books in the series. There's no worries about cliff hangers. Each story has an ending(so far), but there are connections. I would recommend reading the first book before picking up this one. The leading lady in this story is the sister of the leading guy in the first one. They are separate stories, but there are connections that will be better understood with knowing the first story.


I especially like the fact that a mother wrote these books for her children. For 4 years, a new story was given to them at Christmas, and that makes these books more special to me. The lessons hidden in the story and the story itself are things that this mother wanted her children to tuck away inside their minds. I just love that!

I enjoyed the details of life in Africa. The first one had a focus more on home life, but this one is more on school life, though both move away from home and school during part of the stories. Giving my children books that open their own worlds to the worlds of others that live very different lifestyles has become more and more important to me as they've gotten older. This series has proven to be excellent choices so far. There are also animals from the area discussed, which will most likely promote a little extra interest led learning. Aside from life in Africa, there are things within the book that children anywhere can appreciate. Courage and dealing with the mean folks in life are a couple of things included in the story.

Overall, I've greatly enjoyed this series so far. It's a pleasure to tuck these lovely stories away on our shelf for my boys! As a side note, I've also loved the beautiful covers, and I'm thrilled that they go together so nicely! It's always even more pleasurable to add beautiful stories to our shelves when they have beautiful covers.

*I was given a free copy of this book.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your review, and I hope your boys also enjoy them someday soon. I love the covers too! I appreciate your effort to help me get my work out to readers.

    ReplyDelete