Friday, September 16, 2016

The Bible and Me: Stories with a Message to Live by, Retold by Lois Rock, with illustrations by Alida Massari


Description:

Thoughtfully retold, The Bible and Me begins with the faith stories of the Old Testament that tell of God’s unfailing love. The New Testament describes the coming of God’s son Jesus Christ, who by his life and teaching showed how all people could be reconciled to God. Finally, the stories of Jesus’ friends and followers are that of their faith, hope, and love. Each story ends with a prayer, psalm, or passage for reflection.

My Thoughts:

The Bible and Me is a beautiful book, full of Bible history. The illustrations are a bit odd, but it's a lovely, classical kind of odd(at least to me), and I fell in love with the artwork.

Within this book, you'll get summaries of the following people/events:

Creation, Noah, Abraham, Joseph, Moses, The Israelites(more specifically, Joshua and David/Goliath), David and Solomon, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, Nehemiah and Ezra, the birth of Jesus, along with several other chapters on Jesus, Saul/Paul, the return of Jesus for us

These events are covered very briefly and very summarized, and some of the people are barely mentioned. I do like it, though, as a quick, summary type of book. I think it's a great book for children.

My only complaint about the book is that it portrays a baptism as a sprinkling kind of thing, as opposed to a person being fully covered by water. (You could look at the picture and think maybe they were trying to portray the woman(Lydia) being fully covered by water, because there's wavy blue all around, but really, you'd have to want to see it. I really don't know what their intention with it was, but I was thrilled that they didn't exclude baptism from the book. They gave Bible verses where it is commanded, and gently added it into the mix.)

Other than that, I really like this book. It's a beautiful addition to our Bible-related shelf, and I thought it was very well done!

*I was provided a review copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment