Thursday, August 11, 2016

NKJV American Woman's Bible: Women, Godly Virtues, and the Making of America


Description:

Discover how biblical virtues in the powerful words and actions of extraordinary American women past and present have shaped our blessed American way of life. By their examples you can develop the same strength of biblical character in your own life. Whether you are a daughter, a mother or a grandmother, you will find this Bible an encouraging and powerful companion for daily living.

Features include: * New King James Version * Theme articles show how biblical virtues have shaped our nation * Biographies of influential American women highlight key points of their lives * Inspirational quotes by or about great women, famous and not well known * Introductions to each book of the Bible * Essays about biblical virtues embodied in women during key chapters of America's story * Ribbon marker * Presentation page for gift-giving

Part of the Signature Series line of Thomas Nelson Bibles

The New King James Version® - More than 60 million copies

My Thoughts:

I've came a long way since my younger days when it comes to history. I never cared about it in school, and my interest in it has only really came into existence in the past few years. I was so incredibly ignorant of so much, and I've made a fool of myself. I still am and I still do, but I'm making great effort to learn as much about history as I can now. My new interest in history is what made this Bible irresistible. I was too curious to not take a look.

Though this probably goes without saying, the American Woman's Bible isn't one that I'd recommend for every day use. Something more simple is more appropriate for that. Honestly, I'd have loved to have seen all the pages and quotes concerning women from history in a separate book, but it is still enjoyable within this form. It never hurts to have Bible verses so handy, no matter what the study is!


Within this Bible, there are pages about various women throughout history and quotes from them. Ruth Bell Graham, Angelina Grimke, Dale Evans Rogers, Harriet Ross Tubman, and Evangeline Booth are just a few of the women spotlighted. For me, there is a great mix of women I already know about and women I'd never heard of, which is great! I loved that in the introduction, Richard Lee, the general editor, makes it clear that the women included aren't being added to God's Word. He acknowledges God's wisdom in choosing the women that He did to be within His Word, and these particular ladies have simply did great things for our country.


Now to cover some of the basics. While most all of the pages have a very mild/muted red, white, and blue color theme, there are pages included that are thicker and full colored. These sets come in 2 pages, front and back(so 4 pages total per set). These include photographs and illustrations. The regular pages are on the thicker side, for a Bible. The print is readable, so not tiny. I have the hardcover edition, which also has a dust cover. If you take the dust cover off, the same design is on the Bible itself, too.


This is a great Bible to take a look at if you'd like to learn about many of the great ladies throughout American history. I've enjoyed it!

*I was provided a review copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment