Thursday, August 11, 2016

God Made You Just Right by Jill Roman Lord, with illustrations by Amy Wummer


Description:

A bright and cheerful reminder that God made each of us special and unique

Here is a message that every parent will want to share with his or her child: "You're brilliantly created and there s no one else like you!" With easy-to-understand descriptions and simple, rhyming text, Jill Roman Lord shares the message that God created each of us in just the right way in a manner that even the youngest child will understand. Bright and engaging illustrations from Amy Wummer pair perfectly with the text and enhance the appeal of the book. Ages 2-5.

My Thoughts:

God Made You Just Right is a sweet book for little ones!

It's so hard being young these days. Of course, it has always been hard, as I know too well from my younger years. It seems like the bullying and the judgements are getting worse and worse, though, and it makes me sad. Children are having a tougher time being comfortable with who God made them to be, and I'd be lying if I didn't say the same about myself. It's a struggle, and I'm grateful for simple books like this to remind us that God made us just the way we are.

I want my children to know that God is with them, and He knew what He was doing when they were formed the way they are. I want them to find comfort in that fact, and I want to find comfort in that fact myself. People HURT us, and instead of insulting myself or them insulting themselves over qualities about ourselves that can't be changed, I want us to turn to God, and thank Him for His marvelous design, even when it doesn't seem so marvelous. ;)


"You may not be like other kids-
that's not your job to do.

But no one else can do the job
of being you like you!"


Of course, this book is really a cheerful, sweet book, since it doesn't even mention bullying or anything negative, nor have I discussed any of that with my children(in connection with this particular book). I want reading it to quietly give them the strength to turn to God. It's also great for the littlest people to just learn about body parts, and would make a great book for reading, with breaks for tickles and cuddles. (The book does deal more with body parts than "quirky" traits, like my social anxiety. Also, depending on the child you're reading to, you might want to change the words a bit. The overall message still perfectly applies to every child, but if the child doesn't have use of his/her legs, then you might not want to read how God gave them super strong legs to run and kick and play. The same goes for the other parts mentioned within the book.)


I like the simplicity, yet also beauty of this book so much that I'm putting it in my "Bible Class" bag for the 2 and 3 year old class I help my mama with. (We rotate 3 months on, 3 off, so I haven't tried it with them just yet.) I have read it to my children, though, and they enjoyed it. The story is lovely, and so are the illustrations. It's a great little book to add to the reading line-up.

*I was provided a review copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment